News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Iraqi FPS

Mervyn this is for you. It is a very early picture (circa 2003) of the beginning of the Iraqi Facility Protection Service. This was taken atop the Unknown Soldier Monument in Baghdad. Sorry about the quality but it is a scan from a disposable camera. Scott.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_07_2010/post-4139-12797745708.jpg.jpg]

Thankyou Scott - I don't think I've ever been sent a special picture. Usually I get abuse.......... (just joking - if they should ever do that I would 'set' Prosper onto them !)

What exactly are his functions - I am presuming security for historic objects ?

I was actually, particularly interested in the 'Tomb for the Unknown Soldier'. You will be aware that this originated in Britain following WW1. Many other Countries have followed the custom - but, I wasn't aware that Iraq was one. I don't suppose you have a closer picture ?

Best wishes Mervyn

Thankyou Scott - I don't think I've ever been sent a special picture. Usually I get abuse.......... (just joking - if they should ever do that I would 'set' Prosper onto them !)

What exactly are his functions - I am presuming security for historic objects ?

I was actually, particularly interested in the 'Tomb for the Unknown Soldier'. You will be aware that this originated in Britain following WW1. Many other Countries have followed the custom - but, I wasn't aware that Iraq was one. I don't suppose you have a closer picture ?

Best wishes Mervyn

I have some other pictures of the tomb but all are from those dreaded disposable cameras... I will fire up my old desktop computer and spend some time on the scanner. A couple of months into my tour my digital camera choked to death on the sand and dirt, I had to resort to a multitude of disposables. As for Iraq having the tomb, I suspect it was for the propaganda of the regime. It is co-located near the crossed swords " Victory Arch" but I wouldn't doubt British influence as well. Even under Saddam there seem to be many British influences regarding the military. I may set about scanning tonight. Take care. Scott.

• 2 months later...

Mervyn, perhaps you are unaware that most of the Middle East is on the barter systemtongue.gif . Just kidding, I got this from a pile of discarded regime items and sent it home. Later I remembered that I don't collect police items so I sold it. Scott.