News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Very rare set of Vet Boards

Going through my collection, I noticed something special. I have a Luftwaffe shoulderboard for a General Staff Oberst and a set belonging to a Veterinarian Hauptmann.

According to all known references, these two specialities share the same waffenfarbe. What you will notice as odd about these boards is that the vet boards have an Orange/Red waffenfarbe. I figured that these boards were a period mistake or improvision....

...until I did a little late night reading of my "Uniforms and Traditions of the German Army" Volume 1, by Angolia and learned some exciting news.

On page 360, it is stated that Supplimental (whatever that means) Medical and Veterinary Officers were assigned an Orange/Red waffenfarbe IAW HM 36, No 239 dated 01Apr1936

Paul,

On page 360, it is stated that Supplimental (whatever that means)

Angolia is refering to the corps of Supplementary officers - the Erg?nzungsoffiziere or Offiziere (E).

These officers were normally recalled former officers employed on staff duties. Originally termed as "L" Officers, they were renamed as i]Erg?nzungsoffiziere with effect 5th of March 1935. They were maintained on a separate seniority list until 11 May 1943 when those that were still in this status also finally were listed as normal active officers.

Regards

Glenn

Thank you for your response Glenn. So basically the Doctor or Veterinarian is someone of prior service that was recalled into the military? Why would they have a different waffenfarbe though? Did they have different "benefits" from those in the regular military(half pay, reservists, etc)?

Are these boards pretty rare? Have you ever seen a medical board with this waffenfarbe? I would love to add one to my collection!

Thank you again.

Paul

Edited by Paul R

Paul,

I am not a board collector so can cannot comment on the rarity of them.

Rudolf Absolon in his "Die Wehrmacht im Dritten Reich" Band III, covers the subject of the Erg?nzungsoffiziere in some detail. They were re-employed former officers assigned to duties in headquarters and other static administrative units and were rank ranged up to Oberst (E), there being no General Officers (E). They were paid the same salaries as active officers and although they had their own RDA or seniority this did not correspond exactly with the seniority of active officers and they were ranked behind active officers of the same rank for seniority purposes. They did not usually command active officers.

Absolon lists the types of units E Officers were normally assigned to and in the case of medical and veterinary officers (E) he gives the following:

Medical Officers on the Staff of the Wehrkreisarzt

Veterinary Officers on the Staff of the Corps Veterinary Officer

Chief Medical Officers of Garrison Hospitals and Nursing Homes with more than 100 beds

Medical Officers on Recruiting District staffs etc.

Regards

Glenn

Wow! Thank you Glenn!

What is the availiblity of the reference you stated? Does it have a lot of photos? German Language only?

Is is costly?

Thank you again and I apologize for the many questions

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul,

Die Wehrmacht im Dritten Reich is relatively easy to acquire. It runs to six volumes and was published in paperback. It is obviously in German and has no illustrations. What is does contain however is the most detailed overview of the organisational history and "Personnel" aspects of the Wehrmacht and Waffen-SS such as promotion policy, recruiting, rank structure etc, etc. I Find it to be absolutely first class. Not expensive either.

choosebooks.com has copies of the various volumes.

Regards

Glenn

• 10 months later...
    • 1 year later...

I am still looking for images of the medical version of these boards... anyone have some to post?

Well, here is the medical version. Unfortunately for me, it is still attached to a very nice piped tunic. Outside my funding, as I am trying to stay focused. I wish that I could find some boards....

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=2957...mp;#entry278433

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I like the shoulder boards better when they're still attached to the tunic. Here is a spectacular SS-Obersturmbannfuhrer of Veterinar tunic from the Deutschland Regiment. It has Army-styled sewn in shoulder boards with single gilt pips and the gilt snake cipher.

Bob

Edited by Sprocket

More than likely a walk out dress uniform that was left at home for furloughs or for such a time that he might be assigned to staff duty and require a nicer tunic. Willi has a SS-Obersturmfuhrer of Sanitatsdienst tunic too. It is a lightweight M1937 styled (SS) with the open collar made of the same material as the rest of the tunic and is piped in silver twist cord. It has twin upper pleated pockets with scalloped flaps, a four-button front, twin slash lower pockets and French cuffs. It has the standard officer collar tabs, silver bullion sleeve eagle, sewn in SS shoulder boards with black underlay, dark-blue waffenfarben, single gilt metal pip and the gilt metal caduseus ciphers. It has a WMC 2nd Class ribbon in the buttonhole. Tailor made in Berlin.

Edited by Sprocket

More than likely a walk out dress uniform that was left at home for furloughs or for such a time that he might be assigned to staff duty and require a nicer tunic. Willi has a SS-Obersturmfuhrer of Sanitatsdienst tunic too. It is a lightweight M1937 styled (SS) with the open collar made of the same material as the rest of the tunic and is piped in silver twist cord. It has twin upper pleated pockets with scalloped flaps, a four-button front, twin slash lower pockets and French cuffs. It has the standard officer collar tabs, silver bullion sleeve eagle, sewn in SS shoulder boards with black underlay, dark-blue waffenfarben, single gilt metal pip and the gilt metal caduseus ciphers. It has a WMC 2nd Class ribbon in the buttonhole. Tailor made in Berlin.

Ohhh you must post more pics of that too!!