News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

What did we decide the bird was for Sth. Aust.? Ed. raised it on World Police some time ago - but, I can't remember.

Howdy All,

The Post Mervyn is referring to was made March 28. TOPIC: "What's the Difference in these two?" (referring to the Ontario Correctional Services patch)

Ed

• Replies 274
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to GMIC - I must say that you have the most unusual name and avatar that I have seen on the Forum. You will certainly be remembered - however, it might help us if we had a first name ?

Hello Mervyn, thanks for the welcome. I actually wanted it to be "I_♥_PoliceMemorabilia" but it would not allow me to have such a long name and I picked the avatar from the sites gallery of them. By the way, my first name is Jack.

Edited by I_♥_Police

Hello - Jack. That's better - I couldn't imagine writing all of your URL. You obviously have an interest in Police - are you in a Force - or, a collector ? We don't have that many new members on this Forum, so will be nice to know a little more about you.

Hello - Jack. That's better - I couldn't imagine writing all of your URL. You obviously have an interest in Police - are you in a Force - or, a collector ? We don't have that many new members on this Forum, so will be nice to know a little more about you.

Hi again. I am below the minimum recruitment age for police in the UK which is 18, but I have always wanted to make a career out of it and plan to try as soon as I am old enough. I collect anything to do with British police forces, with an emphasis on the Metropolitan Police. Jack.

Also, from your profile I see you are ex-job and was in service with The Met? Please tell me about yourself and what you collect if you don't mind :)

Edited by I_♥_Police

A wise man Jack,

The oldest and the best, a biased opinion of course, wherever you go in the UK, or across the world, you soon realise that "The Job" is just the same!

Looking after those who need us, and those who don't think they need us!

You are very lucky in joining GMIC with the depth of knowledge that our members have.

You will learn a lot from Mervyn, Brian, Coldstream etc

Enjoy

All the best

Craig

A wise man Jack,

The oldest and the best, a biased opinion of course, wherever you go in the UK, or across the world, you soon realise that "The Job" is just the same!

Looking after those who need us, and those who don't think they need us!

You are very lucky in joining GMIC with the depth of knowledge that our members have.

You will learn a lot from Mervyn, Brian, Coldstream etc

Enjoy

All the best

Craig

Certainly, what a good way to put it. From the posts I have seen, Mervyn seems to be very knowledgeable and I am learning already. Not sure about the other two as you and Mervyn are the first members I have talked to since joining, which was only the other day. Jack.

Fantastic collection and displayed really well, I only wish I had this amount of room!

hello Jack

thanks for the compliment , as for room, I see your are only young when you get to my age you probobly will have more room than me lol, just stick to your dreams it will all come to you

cheers RodG

this is an 1890s South Australian helmet with QC plate, the patern of this helmet is nearly the same as the early New Zealand helmets

this is a Victorian helmet displaying the officers number, this patern was worn both by foot and mounted police from 1877 untill 1947

Rod,

the Victorian helmet in #30 seems to be made of leather. Is this correct or is it another material with a hardening coating? Can you put a date on the one posted and why is the ventilator cap a different colour?

I presume these pre-fed helmets were imported from England, yes? Vero & Everitt opened a shop in Melbourne c1852 but they imported their headgear from their factory in England.

Thanks for posting and I am sure we will all learn a great deal from your having joined the forum.

Cheers,

Stuart

Stuart said the Victorian helmet in #30 seems to be made of leather. Is this correct or is it another material with a hardening coating? Can you put a date on the one posted and why is the ventilator cap a different colour?

Hi the Vic helmet is made from a stiffend blackned canvas these where made by A.W. Sudweeks manufacturer Ballarat. this company made most if not all of these ,the air vent is made of nickel silver , hope this helps

cheers rod

ps this is the helmet worn by the police during the Ned Kelly sagas

Edited by rod g

this is the Victorian police shrine gaurd slouch hat , modeled on the australian light horse slouch hat adorned with real kangaroo feathers

this one is dated 1956..

Edited by rod g

this is the Victorian police shrine gaurd slouch hat , modeled on the australian light horse slouch hat with adorned with real kangaroo feathers

this one is dated 1956..

Edited by rod g

a New South Wales helmet with QC helmet plate ( the plate only differs from the cap badge because it has three lugs the cap has two) circa 1950s

Edited by rod g

Hello Rod

Welcome to the forum and thanks for showing us your excellent collection. Previously in another post we have discussed the reasons different UK Police forces adopted the ball, spike or comb for the helmet.

In your post 25 the Queensland Mounted Police helmet has a ball top, have you been able to uncover any regulations in relation to Australian Police forces regarding this.?

Best regards Simon

Rod - your illustrations can be likened to shining a torch into the 'darkness' of Australian police collecting. Well done !

In a previous post there was an illustration of an Irish helmet - and this also seemed to be worn 'back to front' and had no central vent. I can't remember exactly where it was shown, but I do remember the similarities. The helmet you say is of canvas - the central badge seems quite strange - usually the numbers are within a badge. I suppose just a local variation - as with the badgeless pith helmet.

Your comment to Jack about having more room to display when he is older - from what I've seen the rooms in most new houses just seem to get smaller and smaller.

Simon's question on the ball top - again a valid point. With many Countries with a Colonial past - uniforms, street names etc. are all kept from Britain. Safe and comfortable.....

hello Jack

thanks for the compliment , as for room, I see your are only young when you get to my age you probobly will have more room than me lol, just stick to your dreams it will all come to you

cheers RodG

Hello Rod. How old were you when you started collecting?

I have had this trucheon for many years ,I wonder if anyone knows anything about it .

it is painted like the British type, it has a brass plate attached with the engraving Magyar Kirlyi.

csendorseg Budapest V11 ker 1863 s 911

it is Hungarian , is it a retirement or what? 911 is also stamped on the top of the handle

cheers rodg

• 4 months later...

Hey Rod,

kangaroo feathers? Don't you mean emu feathers?

Stuart

G'day Stuart,

Thought this might explain the term "kangaroo Feathers". It was still a term in common usage when I was serving. This quote has come from the Australian War Museum http://www.awm.gov.a...es/feathers.asp

This plume became the symbol of the light horse, inseparable from its legend. Appreciating a practical joke, when asked about their plumes, First AIF light horsemen pulled many legs by replying that they were, in fact, "kangaroo feathers", placing the plume in the same vein as bunyip farms, walking-stick farms, and treacle mines.

It's up their with the 'hoop snakes' and 'drop bears' we used tell are american colleagues who deployed here for joint excercises to look out for in the bush!

Cheers

Chris