News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Always an important part of overseas operations, we have had Hospital Ships back as far as the Crimea War in the 1850's. Perhaps one of our Navy 'buffs' can tell us if Britain does in fact still have any in commission ? I seem to remember that CANBERRA was converted for this purpose in the Falklands War ? The Royal Yacht was of course always intended to have a secondary use as one.

These two badges have just been brought-in - hence my interest in this subject. The accompanying piece of paper reads : SISTER MORTON. SERVED ON HOSPITAL SHIP ' AMRA ' IN 2ND. WORLD WAR.

She has just passed away,so we cannot ask her. I feel that these are possibly badges of rank for a hospital sister - and two would indicate one for each epaulette. They are made from brass with inlaid enamel. However, I don't recognise the pattern - did Hospital Ships have their own, specially formed, staff ?

Will be interesting to see what info. can be found. I will show a picture of the reverse.

Mervyn

As far as I remember the SS Canberra was used as a troop ship during the Falklands conflict. The SS Uganda definately was used as a hospital ship during the Falklands and was the ship we sailed down on just after the war. Her callsign was 'Mother hen' and she was painted white with 8 large red crosses on her. She also had a helicopter landing pad stuck on her and I distinctly remember that it was too small for a chinook. The Pilot would hover with his back wheels on the pad and the front ones in the air while everything was offloaded. Fine in calm conditions and a bit of fun when it was rough.

A wikipedia search reveals that her compliment of medical personnel during the Falklands was 135 staff including 12 Doctors and 40 members of Queen Alexandra's Royal Navy Nursing Service.

Perhaps the badges you illustrate belong to this unit?

Best regards Simon

Thankyou both for the info. Would be possible then that they could be for Queen Alexandra's Nursing Corps. Perhaps someone will have a rank badge we can compare with them. Ladybird - I used to wear a cape in the Met. Police and our Lion head chain supports had a hook on each - there is nowhere to fix a chain on these.