News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A member of the Sudan Defence Force and his awards

MEDALS ARE MOUNTED AS WORN

During the course of my work and travels in the Sudan, I met Khalid's grandson and family in Kassala in Eastern Sudan.

After a long period of discussions and negotiations, the family decided that the medals should go to my collection and I was able to purchase them

Kassala was the scene for a number of actions during the Second World War and was bombed and captured by the Italians on occassion.

It is very difficult to obtain service records in the Sudan but through the family's memories I was able to piece the following together:

Born in 1919 in Kassala, Khalid joined the SUDAN DEFENCE FORCE in 1939. He served in the Eastern Arab Corps and participated in various internal Sudanese operations and fought against the Italians. Khalid participated in the Second World War and saw action in Abyssinia, Libya and Egypt. He took part in the Battle of El Alamein. At the conclusion of the Second World War, he left the army and settled and lived in Kassala. Khalid died of natural causes in 1979.

Hi Will,

What a great group of medals, what with the photo, name and history, you just can't get better.

I have enjoyed very much brousing your collection on the forum, "Outstanding" I am also very interested in the Anglo-Egytpian Army and Sudan Defence Force and have today put up my first post, can be seen through link below

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=44873&st=0&p=414368&hl=sudan&fromsearch=1&#entry414368

I look forward to viewing your future posts and finds.

Regards, Brian.

Hi - Will. Another very interesting set - and from the condition, much safer in your hands. Our MWeb underseas cable is being repaired from this weekend and hopefully, Skype will then work properly. Best wishes Mervyn

Edited by Mervyn Mitton

Hi Mervyn,

Good to hear from you.

The condition is unfortunately indicative of both the harsh conditions and unfortunately the manner in whcih these items are regarded and cared for in the Sudan.

I hope to be in South Africa soon and have a range of good items I will post.

Regards,

Will

Hi Paul,

The first medal in the group is the Sudan Defence Force General Service Medal.

It was awarded by the Commander of the Sudanese Defence Force to Sudanese members of the SDF. Police and other approved Sudanese personnel for service in the field.

The approval was from the Governor General of the Sudan who had to confirm the importance of the specific operation/s.

It was also awarded for service/action against Italian forces from June 1940 to November 1941.

I am of the opinion that the latter reason confirms the award of the medal to my recipient.

Instituted in November 1933, approximately 9000 were awarded.

Regards,

Will