News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Joint Commander Commendation

Hi Guys,

Sorry if this appears to be a bone question, but what does a Joint Commander Commendation look like? Is it something that is worn on the medal ribbon like an MID or is it a paper certificate, or something else? :unsure:

Is this a British medal?

Is this a British medal?

Don`t know to be honest. Was watching a programme on Sky called Above & Beyond, and a few of the guys featured had been awarded one. I know the Americans have a medal called this, but don`t believe the British do, which is why I wondered what it looked like?

I've never heard of this award - does it have history. Some time ago we had a SA group where he was awarded US Valour Cross (I can't think of the name - it's the one below the CMH) This was awarded by the US 6th Army - Gen. Mark Clarke - and the British gave a MID (mean b-s !) so, there didn't seem to be a joint commendation at that time (1944).

Mervyn,

Are you referring to the Distinquished Service Cross?

There are a series of Joint Service decorations, used by the US military.

Joint Services Achievement Medal

Joint Services Commendation Medal

Defense Meritorious Service Medal

Defense Superior Service Medal

Defense Distinquished Service Medal

Here are the images of the medals listed above, in the link below. Is this what you are referring to?

http://www.americal.org/awards/dod.htm

Thankyou Paul. I was having a 'senior' moment. Yes, the DSC - the top one that can be awarded to a non-US citizen. He was the first Sth. African to be given the award. He was originally gazetted for the Silver Star - however, it was three years before the Medal was given in S.A. by the U.S. Ambassador - in that time they up-graded the Award to the DSC. He was a Lt. in the Kimberley Regt. and took out 6 MG posts - then with his platoon captured a further post and took 8o SS prisoners. Quite an achievement.

ps. Some time ago Chris had a thread for the most beautiful medal. I think I voted for the George Cross -however, having held an original DSC, I must say that I think it is right up at the top for simple - under stated - elegance.

Edited by Mervyn Mitton

Thankyou Paul. I was having a 'senior' moment. Yes, the DSC - the top one that can be awarded to a non-US citizen. He was the first Sth. African to be given the award. He was originally gazetted for the Silver Star - however, it was three years before the Medal was given in S.A. by the U.S. Ambassador - in that time they up-graded the Award to the DSC. He was a Lt. in the Kimberley Regt. and took out 6 MG posts - then with his platoon captured a further post and took 8o SS prisoners. Quite an achievement.

ps. Some time ago Chris had a thread for the most beautiful medal. I think I voted for the George Cross -however, having held an original DSC, I must say that I think it is right up at the top for simple - under stated - elegance.

That is an amazing achievement. He took out 6 MG nests and assisted in taking 80 prisoners?! WOW.

Italy was a US sphere of operations and therefore awards had to be initiated by them. Had it been a British decision, I think it would have been a VC nomination. I can't think of his name at the moment - but, somewhere - will be a copy of the award document. I will try to find it and post.

Were South African servicmen eligible for the VC? Forgive my ignorance...

Interesting question. I would assume yes as Indian & Gurkha troops have both been awarded it. I therefore assume that all Commonwealth troops are eligible.

More recently young Beharry, sure he`s from the Carribean or somewhere in that part of the world.

Interesting question. I would assume yes as Indian & Gurkha troops have both been awarded it. I therefore assume that all Commonwealth troops are eligible.

More recently young Beharry, sure he`s from the Carribean or somewhere in that part of the world.

The criteria for a VC award would surely be the army the recipient was enlisted in, Johnson Beharry was a serving member of the British Army although of Carribean descent and therefore eligible for the awards of Great Britian. South African forces when part of the Commonwealth would have been eligible and did recieve the ultimate award. If my memory serves me right wasn't the last VC recipient New Zealand SAS or similar?

Best regards Simon :cheers:

The criteria for a VC award would surely be the army the recipient was enlisted in, Johnson Beharry was a serving member of the British Army although of Carribean descent and therefore eligible for the awards of Great Britian. South African forces when part of the Commonwealth would have been eligible and did recieve the ultimate award. If my memory serves me right wasn't the last VC recipient New Zealand SAS or similar?

Best regards Simon :cheers:

Believe there has recently been a New Zealand VC to an SAS guy, your right. :cheers:

But I think that it was a NZ VC as apposed to a UK VC, there is a difference. I think :whistle:

Wasn`t the last UK VC to Cpl Budd of the Parachute Regt? :unsure:

Within the Commonwealth, several nations have chosen to incorporate the Victoria Cross into their own Honours System, generally to be awarded by HM The Queen in her role as their Queen.

Australia - incorporated the VC into the Australian Honours System on 15 January 1991.

Canada - instituted the 'Victoria Cross of Canada' on 2 February 1993, prior to that Canadians were eligible for the UK version.

New Zealand - instituted the 'Victoria Cross for New Zealand' in September 1999, again before that date New Zealand citizens received the UK one.

The Canadians have modified the design - so the scroll reads 'Pro Valore' rather than 'For Valour' - but I think Australia and New Zealand have retained the original design.

• 1 month later...

Referring to the first post on this subject, I was awarded a Joint Commanders Commendation for service in Bosnia in 1997. It is indeed a certificate and does not entitle you to wear anything on your medal ribbon. The award is published in the operational honours list, but is not Gazetted. In terms of ranking, the military regard it as sitting immediately below a QCVS. I don't have a copy of my certificate as it is framed and at home in UK...I am serving in Kosovo at the moment), but I happen to have a soft copy of one of the congratulating letters, which gives the award some perspective (I have removed my name and address for obvious reasons):

JointComdCommLtr.jpg

When I get a chance I will post a picture of the certificate

Firstly - Congratulations on it's award. This is the first time I have ever seen one and I think it is roughly the Military equivalent of a Commissioner's Commendation in the Metropolitan Police. Hope all is quiet and peaceful where you are.

Many thanks, although it seems such a long time ago now! Quiet here at the moment and fingers crossed it stays that way...I am getting too old for trouble!

Italy was a US sphere of operations and therefore awards had to be initiated by them. Had it been a British decision, I think it would have been a VC nomination. I can't think of his name at the moment - but, somewhere - will be a copy of the award document. I will try to find it and post.

Not sure why you would say this? Both Montgomery and Patton had their respective Armies and came under the direction of SHAEF. Decorations are based by nationaility of the formation and a quota system for these, as well as 'foreign' awards was established. A number of VC were awarded for Italy to Commonwealth countries and I can think of 2-3 for Canadians.

Had the Brits, under whom the SA forces would be organized, believed that it was worthy of a VC they would have politely declined a US recommendation. If, at the time of the action, the SA formation was under US tactical command then it is not surprising that a US award would be recommended. Let's not forget the British policy against double-dipping which would not permit the Brits to also decorate this courageous individual twice for the same event.

As to the US not awarding the Medal of Honor to 'foreigners', there are a number of instances where they have. However, with the exception of an exchange of honours with the French and British 'Unknown Soldiers', all of these have been to 'foreigners' serving in US forces.

Cheers,

Clive

• 4 months later...

Referring to the first post on this subject, I was awarded a Joint Commanders Commendation for service in Bosnia in 1997. It is indeed a certificate and does not entitle you to wear anything on your medal ribbon. The award is published in the operational honours list, but is not Gazetted. In terms of ranking, the military regard it as sitting immediately below a QCVS. I don't have a copy of my certificate as it is framed and at home in UK...I am serving in Kosovo at the moment), but I happen to have a soft copy of one of the congratulating letters, which gives the award some perspective (I have removed my name and address for obvious reasons):

JointComdCommLtr.jpg

When I get a chance I will post a picture of the certificate

I am back for a spot of leave in UK and have photographed the commendation in its frame (sorry for the delay):

JntComdCom.jpg

Believe there has recently been a New Zealand VC to an SAS guy, your right. :cheers:

But I think that it was a NZ VC as apposed to a UK VC, there is a difference. I think :whistle:

Wasn`t the last UK VC to Cpl Budd of the Parachute Regt? :unsure:

And before the current crop of VCs, for Iraq and Afghanistan,the last living [british] VC winner was [Honorary] Captain Rambahadar Limbu, VC. He won the Cross in 1965 in Malaysia, as a Lance-Corporal with the 10th Princess Mary's Own Gurkha Rifles. His original was stolen from a train in India but a replacement was issued and he was also made a member of the RVO for his role as Queen's Gurkha Orderly officer.

• 4 years later...

My boss got the QCVS as Battery Commander of J (Sidi Rezegh) Battery, 3rd RHA for Telic.  I got this, what I consider to be a 'lucky bag' award for coordinating the IDFs and Air/Avn (running the Fire Planning Cell) for the Black Watch Battle Group Main HQ.  My pals did the same job and got nothing for it so I feel rather embarrassed about it.  I suppose it will have interest to British military collectors as it is not that often issued I think?  I do feel in my case they were going through the motions though, they had to give someone something!

CIMG9874.JPG

Presentation 3.JPG

Edited by Jock Auld