News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WWI medal bars

As I saw there is an interest in WWI bars, I start this new topic.

This is a Greek WWI medal bar, consisting of:

-Gold Cross of Valor (3 awards)

-Military Merit medal, 1st or 2nd class-the wreath is missing (1st type-Sue/Rivaud)

-1st Balkan War medal with 4 battle bars

-2nd Balkan War medal with 3 battle bars

-Interallied Victory medal

-Serbian Milosh Obilitch gold medal

The (unknown) recipient saw action in the Balkan Wars (1912-13), WWI (1917-18) or/and Expedition in Ukraine (1919) and the Minor Asian Campaign (1919-1922). My guess is that he was a high-ranking Officer, who probably had some Redeemer and George I higher awards (Commanders or higher).

Edited by makedon

As I saw there is an interest in WWI bars, I start this new topic.

This is a Greek WWI medal bar, consisting of:

-Gold Cross of Valor (3 awards)

-Military Merit medal, 1st or 2nd class-the wreath is missing (1st type-Sue/Rivaud)

-1st Balkan War medal with 4 battle bars

-2nd Balkan War medal with 3 battle bars

-Interallied Victory medal

-Serbian Milosh Obilitch gold medal

The (unknown) recipient saw action in the Balkan Wars (1912-13), WWI (1917-18) or/and Expedition in Ukraine (1919) and the Minor Asian Campaign (1919-1922). My guess is that he was a high-ranking Officer, who probably had some Redeemer and George I higher awards (Commanders or higher).

Hello makedon,

Very nice group of awards. It is also interesting that the Serbian Milosh Obilitch medal is also mounted with the group.

It would be good to see others post their Great War (1914-1918) groups as well as there just doesn't seem to be many around.

Regards,

Rob

• 2 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...

Not mounted (usual) United States Spanish American to WW1. Signal Corp, later Electrician, then Weatherman, and WW1 Air service Reserve Major. Note: I did not get the original medals - these are replacement, except the badges. Comes with 3 full uniforms. :cheers: Cheers Captain Albert

To all,

Here are some of my Great War (WW1) medal bars. These have already been posted on the Interallied Victory medal thread but are of relevance here as well.

Starting the ball rolling with a nice Belgian group of 4.

Regards,

Rob

And here is the last one from me in this group. An interesting Romanian group.

While these groups have been from the allied and associated powers it would be good to see some groups from the other side of the house as the thread indicates WW1 medal bars in general. It would be good if others could contribute their pieces to pile.

Regards,

Rob

Hi Rob,

Beautiful additions to the thread! You know, I never did find another Belgian Fire Cross like the one you have but, I did see a Type 2 that had several horizontal lines along the edge. Most have between 16-21 and the versions with more than that must be from one obscure maker.unsure.gif

Tim

And here is the last one from me in this group. An interesting Romanian group.

While these groups have been from the allied and associated powers it would be good to see some groups from the other side of the house as the thread indicates WW1 medal bars in general. It would be good if others could contribute their pieces to pile.

Regards,

Rob

The Romanian mini bar is interesting, first comes the Romanian Order of the Crown (Civil / Peacetime) award, then an officers military service medal, however the inclusion of the 1877-78 Crossing of the Danube Cross, from the 1877-78 Independence War, might be a little mystifying to some who see the bar, it possibly denote an honorary award to an officer a son of an 1877 Romanian officer who had the original 1877 award, (however, the sons full size award would have born the "TRADITIE" clasp) the rest of the awards go on through the 1913 Balkan Campaign, WW1 period and include the 1930's era Peles Castle medal and the 100 Centenary of King Carol I medal.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

The Romanian mini bar is interesting, first comes the Romanian Order of the Crown (Civil / Peacetime) award, then an officers military service medal, however the inclusion of the 1877-78 Crossing of the Danube Cross, from the 1877-78 Independence War, might be a little mystifying to some who see the bar, it possibly denote an honorary award to an officer a son of an 1877 Romanian officer who had the original 1877 award, (however, the sons full size award would have born the "TRADITIE" clasp) the rest of the awards go on through the 1913 Balkan Campaign, WW1 period and include the 1930's era Peles Castle medal and the 100 Centenary of King Carol I medal.

Kevin in Deva. beer.gif

Hello Kev,

You are indeed correct on the addition of the TRADITIA bar to the full-size 1877-78 Crossing of the Danube Cross. Tim B posted pics of this group, both full size and mini, on the victory medal thread. Here it is again for reference.

Regards,

Rob