News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WWI medal bars

If it goes to the minis and the post is WW1 bars... here is one interesting and very unusual British civilian clerk mini medal bar with the WW1 service as a volunteery Police, clasp "The Great War 1914-18":

15971605381c93_o.jpg

Hi Rob,

Beautiful additions to the thread! You know, I never did find another Belgian Fire Cross like the one you have but, I did see a Type 2 that had several horizontal lines along the edge. Most have between 16-21 and the versions with more than that must be from one obscure maker.unsure.gif

Tim

Hello Tim,

Apart from that group of 3 with the Fire Cross I have no other similar examples. In fact, I hadn't really paid that much attention to the piece and was searching the general Belgian forum for something else when I spied the thread on the Fire Cross. Your postings of the myriad of varieties is what made me go back to my collection and have a closer look. I wouldn't be too surprised if it was found that there were many more varieties. I suppose the more you look, the more you find!

It is strange sometimes when we are looking for one thing and get side-tracked, in a fruitful and good way, into something completely different. It is this variety that I enjoy about the vic series.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

Hi Rob,

You may be correct on the never-ending varieties of Belgian Fire Cross; just when I think I seen all the variations, up popped the type 2 with the sides like yours and not too long ago, we were introduced to that short-barreled type 1.

Overall though, I think the major varieties have been posted in that thread, as they seem to be the most often encountered. IMO, those versions probably make up 90-95% (or more) of the examples I have seen out there, be it single or mounted in groups.

So, my friend it appears you have one of the more rarer types IMO! You have an amazing collection Rob, would love to see all of it one day!cheers.gif

Tim

Hi Rob,

You may be correct on the never-ending varieties of Belgian Fire Cross; just when I think I seen all the variations, up popped the type 2 with the sides like yours and not too long ago, we were introduced to that short-barreled type 1.

Overall though, I think the major varieties have been posted in that thread, as they seem to be the most often encountered. IMO, those versions probably make up 90-95% (or more) of the examples I have seen out there, be it single or mounted in groups.

So, my friend it appears you have one of the more rarer types IMO! You have an amazing collection Rob, would love to see all of it one day!cheers.gif

Tim

Hello Tim,

Thanks for the words on the collection. It is something of a work in progress... It is unlikely that all of my collection would be posted because it is not all in the one spot. I am also in the middle of cataloguing a whole section of the collection for insurance purposes. One area that I haven't posted a lot of examples of is in the vic award certificates. While I have a few of them most are quite large and won't fit onto the scanner and again most of them are not in one spot for collating. In particular the Belgian and Italian certificates, as well as some of the French certificates are far larger than a normal A4 or Letter sizes scanner so they will simply have to wait.

At some stage in the medium to long-term I will get around to calaloguing and scanning everything but other things and events will always manage to get in the way.

I am glad someone else enjoys these items as much as I and I am, where possible, always willing and happy to share information.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Kev,

You are indeed correct on the addition of the TRADITIA bar to the full-size 1877-78 Crossing of the Danube Cross. Tim B posted pics of this group, both full size and mini, on the victory medal thread. Here it is again for reference.

Regards,

Rob

Beautiful!

The feeling is great when you find the matching miniatures and documents to a group.

Nice finding!

• 3 weeks later...
    • 4 months later...

Hello all, this group just barely fits in. He was at Annapolis in 1918. (Served 1918-1953) retired Rear Admiral Hubbard Frederick Goodwin, US Navy. He served on the following ships: USS Rochester, USS Breck, USS Milwaukee, USS Whitney, USS Mahopoc (C.O.), USS New Orleans (Ex. Off.), USS Granville (C.O.). The group includes his double bar mounted medals, and Complete Tan service Uniform(dated 1951). Cheers Captain Albert :cheers:

Here is his 1922 Annapolis photo. His family (whom I am in contact with) will supply other photos. Will post them later. Cheers Captain Albert

He was in the same Naval Academy class as Admiral Rickover. Here's what Wikipedia says about Rickover's awards:

Hyman Rickover's numerous medals and decorations include the Distinguished Service Medal, Legion of Merit, Navy Commendation Medal, and the World War II Victory Medal. In recognition of his wartime service, he was made Honorary Commander of the Military Division of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire. Hyman Rickover was twice awarded the Congressional Gold Medal for exceptional public service. In 1980, President Jimmy Carter presented Admiral Rickover with the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the nation's highest non-military honor, for his contributions to world peace.

He's obviously not wearing the full array here (not unusual for senior officers in those days).

Hugh

Edited by Hugh