News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

CANADA Royal Arch Mason member's medals

FireMedals

Here is something to end the year with.

I acquired one of these medals years ago as a gift from a friend, and figured it was a uniquely made piece by the recipient. A couple of years ago I actually found another similar piece, so now I need any information any Canadian brethren may like to add.

The ?medal? in both cases in a British Penny, 1896 on one and 1897 on the other. They have been fitted with a suspension loop and given a gold wash. Each has a silver keystone plaque applied to each side, one of which is engraved with the mystic letters of the RA being HTWSSTKS, around a blank circle for the ?mark? of the member. The old stonemasons used private marks to identify their work (true, not legend), and as the keystone of an arch is the most important component to hold it together, it became the symbol of this branch of Freemasonry. As can be seen in other insignia, members are encouraged to have their personal mark engraved on some insignia. The mark on these two medals is a play on the initials of the names of the brothers, but other marks are often geometric or random shapes chosen by the brother. The reverse plaque has the engraved info on the RAM Chapter name and date the person received the medal. One medal is dated 1903 and the other 1921.

Both of these medals were presented in Canadian RAM Chapters, one Carnarvon and the other Montreal. The ribbon is red and light blue. These may be officer jewels. The York Rite started in England in the mid-1800?s, and was in early America by 1797. Anyone with additional information, please submit it.

HAPPY 2006 TO ALL

Firemedals

Edited by FireMedals

Kgard,

Thanks for the comments and the scans. I'm basing my information about these pieces on my knowledge of American Masonry. You may have a better take on these than I do.

The reverse plaques have names and dates, but also have a variaiton. The one is Carnarvon Chapter No. 5, G.C.Q., and the other Montreal Chapter No. 7, G.R.Q..

Firemedals