News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

South Vietnam Insignia advertisement

bmsm

Here are two advertisement sheets for South Vietnamese Medals and Insignia. One of the sheets still has the address and SAIGON on the bottom. The smaller sheet is only 4 in. high and 3 in. wide and has several different medals and a row of ribbons on the bottom.

Bob

Here are two Medal Presentation boxes. One is for the National Defense Medal and one is for the Vietnamese Campaign Medal. Notice the date bar of 1949-54 on the Campaign Medal box.

Bob

Those presentation boxes must be pretty rare! I have never seen those variations before. I am thinking that the RVN Campaign medal, with the 49-54 clasp must have been intended for the French and ARVN forces? Did the French receive these medals?

Those presentation boxes must be pretty rare! I have never seen those variations before. I am thinking that the RVN Campaign medal, with the 49-54 clasp must have been intended for the French and ARVN forces? Did the French receive these medals?

Paul,

According to Mr. John Sylvester and Col. Frank Foster in their book " The Decorations and Medals of the Republic of Vietnam and Her Allies, 1950-1975" on page 45, devices are inscribed "1949-54" for the Vietnamese who participated in the campaign then.

The governments of the allied forces in Vietnam authorized their personnel to receive this award from the Republic of Vietnam for six months service there or for wounds or death in action.

It would seem that the French would also be authorized to wear the medal according to the above information but it would depend on when it was authorized to be worn by the French Government.

Bob

Edited by bmsm

Here is the Vietnam Campaign Medal that goes in the above presentation box. It has the 1949-54 and 1960- service bar, Vietnamese made with the French style fastening pins on the reverse.

Bob

I have never seen the ARVN Campaign medal with the 49 clasp! That must have set you back a pretty penny!! I am blown away.

Were these awarded to the French as well as the ARVN forces?

I have never seen the ARVN Campaign medal with the 49 clasp! That must have set you back a pretty penny!! I am blown away.

Were these awarded to the French as well as the ARVN forces?

Paul,

I got lucky getting the RVN Campaign Medal with the 1949-54 clasp. One of the dealers at the Military Show in Mpls.- St. Paul, MN. who collects German items bought out a collection of Vietnamese medals and brought them to the show where I latched on to them. I do not collect Vietnamese items anymore so thought I'd show them on the Forum for others to see.

I do not know if the French could wear the Campaign medal but they were awarded to the allies fighting for South Vietnam. Each country has there own regulations on wearing foreign awards.

There are also unofficial clasps with 1964, 1965, 1966, 1967; 1967-68 and 1969-70 ( information from The Decorations and Medals of the Republic of Vietnam and her Allies 1950-1975 by Mr. John Sylvester and Col. Frank Foster). The only official service bar for US troops to wear is the 1960 bar.

Bob