Gentleman's Military Interest Club

I would be very interested to hear if any members have any of the below awards in their collection. These are post-independence pre-republic awards that were in use between 1968 and 1992. This request concerns the Commonwealth realm period only.

Mauritius Police Long Service & Good Conduct Medal

Mauritius Fire Services Long Service & Good Conduct Medal

Mauritius Prisons Service Long Service & Good Conduct Medal

Edited by Tony Farrell

Tony - when I last visited Mauritius I advertised in their local paper and some good LS medals to the police turned-up - one set to the former Dep.Comm. no less ! I remember there was a bronze and a silver LS and one of them - I think it was the silver, was not known in the UK and still isn't in the M.Y.Book. Was there a specific query ?

The bronze medal you mention sounds like (and probably is) the more familiar pre-'34 medal. Whilst these were also awarded in silver, the other medal you mention could well be the elusive post-colonial medal that was introduced after Mauritius became independent in '68. That's the one I'm interested in, as there's scant information on it. This medal closely resembles the Colonial Police LSM - with only minor inscription differences. Do you remember any details regarding the ribbon or naming style?