News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I would be very interested to hear if any members have any of the below awards in their collection. These are post-independence pre-republic awards that were in use between 1968 and 1992. This request concerns the Commonwealth realm period only.

Mauritius Police Long Service & Good Conduct Medal

Mauritius Fire Services Long Service & Good Conduct Medal

Mauritius Prisons Service Long Service & Good Conduct Medal

Edited by Tony Farrell

Tony - when I last visited Mauritius I advertised in their local paper and some good LS medals to the police turned-up - one set to the former Dep.Comm. no less ! I remember there was a bronze and a silver LS and one of them - I think it was the silver, was not known in the UK and still isn't in the M.Y.Book. Was there a specific query ?

The bronze medal you mention sounds like (and probably is) the more familiar pre-'34 medal. Whilst these were also awarded in silver, the other medal you mention could well be the elusive post-colonial medal that was introduced after Mauritius became independent in '68. That's the one I'm interested in, as there's scant information on it. This medal closely resembles the Colonial Police LSM - with only minor inscription differences. Do you remember any details regarding the ribbon or naming style?

• 5 years later...
    • 1 year later...

Hello Tony & others members.

I've just been ounce to Mauritius long time ago, and found any medals there. But even finding actual photo of these awards is challenging.

So here is a Mauritius Police LSGC Medal (sold in 2012 by Lockdales auction, Lot number was 559). That medal was awarded to Sgt 962 Mooseley G.

There is reference that in the period before 1992 (i.e. 1968-1992) (in 1992 Mauritius became a republic), only 130 Police LSGC Medals were awarded.

If ever a members has one such medal for sale, I'am happy to buy it.

Best regards.

Emmanuel

Mauritius Police LSGC to Sgt 962 Mooseley G in 2012 obverse.jpg

Mauritius Medal Police LSGC 1968-92 with Queen Elisabeth II on reverse.jpg

Edited by heusy68

In a London auction, I bought this Mauritius Police MSM last month.

Even if not attributed, it's an extremely rare medal.

I have spoken ounce with a collector of Mauritius, who told me, he has 3 (1 attributed, and 2 un named).

I bet it shall exist a Mauritius Police Gallantry Medal, but it has yet to come to surface.....

Best regards.

Emmanuel

Mauritius QEII Police MSM 1968 1992 obverse.jpg

Mauritius QEII Police MSM 1968 1992 reverse.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hi Emmanuel. You did very well to hammer that MPM (I was an underbidder). It is most certainly a rare piece. As you say, there is scant information relating to it and I have found no mention of it in the appropriate records. I can confirm, however, that (at least) 245 Police LS medals were awarded in the period between 1974-77 - with 300 having been initially manufactured. How many were made and awarded after this date I cannot say, but I have the rolls for police, fire and prisons awards up until '77.