Gentleman's Military Interest Club

I would be very interested to hear if any members have any of the below awards in their collection. These are post-independence pre-republic awards that were in use between 1970 and 1987 (or thereabouts).

Fiji Police Medal for Meritorious Service

Fiji Police Long Service & Good Conduct Medal

Both were established 15 May 1972 and replaced (by the Fiji Police Medal and Fiji Police Long Service Medal respectively) on 8 March 1995.

Unfortunately although I know the ribbon colours I have no pictures of these :(

The use of Commonwealth awards effectively ceased upon the declaration of republic in September 1987 and there appears to have been no system in place until 1995. One would imagine medals to be low priority during that turbulent period. Interestingly, whilst the RFP dropped the 'Royal' prefix, it retained the crown on its badge. Fiji is also unusual in that it continues to utilise the union flag in the quarter - the only republic to do so.

Edited by Tony Farrell

Whilst I can't comment in respect of the medal, I can tell you that there has been no concerted effort to cease wearing insignia which features the title "Royal Fiji Police". According to the force itself, cap badges bearing both Royal and non-Royal titles continue to be worn. Apparently, they issue and re-issue whatever is available in the stores.

Dave.