News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Iraqi SP Gun

A nice pic of an Iraqi SP gun on the road to Baghdad in 2003. violent.gif

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_07_2010/post-4139-128036223527.jpg.jpg]

Now THAT'S a fine looking piece of equipment!

Just the way it should be!biggrin.gif

Ed

• 1 month later...

Any idea what make of gun and vehicle ? South Africa - under the old Govt. broke many bans to supply the Middle East armies with our Howitzer and Sp system. Reckoned to be the most effective World wide. They did this to obtain oil.

Hi,

The Iraqis had South African G5s delivered to them in the 1980s.

Best

Chris

It's a French AU-F1 GCT, 155mm self-propelled gun.

The Iraqis bought huge amounts of weapons from anyone who would sell during the 1980s -- France probably led the way.

Indeed... I remember in Desert Storm, we were told that anything coming from a certain direction were baddies... In the early morning a burst of 12.7mm was fired at an approaching gazelle helicopter, as was in the Iraqi weapons hand book... but this one was flown by our own French helicopter recon...

Red faces all around, but no problem as nothing was hit.

Indeed... I remember in Desert Storm, we were told that anything coming from a certain direction were baddies... In the early morning a burst of 12.7mm was fired at an approaching gazelle helicopter, as was in the Iraqi weapons hand book... but this one was flown by our own French helicopter recon...

Red faces all around, but no problem as nothing was hit.

Sounds like you guys should have spent a bit more time on the rangewink.gif Scott.

• 1 year later...

Any idea what make of gun and vehicle ? South Africa - under the old Govt. broke many bans to supply the Middle East armies with our Howitzer and Sp system. Reckoned to be the most effective World wide. They did this to obtain oil.

It's an AMX-30 AuF1 / GCT 155mm SPG

soz already answered in an above post

Regards Eddie

Edited by Taz

• 2 weeks later...

Being in Potchefstroom in the 1980's i remember people with white uniforms and lots of "Scrambled Eggs" being shown a G5 and G6 in a demonstration. Rumour had it they were Iraqi or Argentinian, I guess Iraqui coz of the Mirror aviator sunglasses and black handle bar moustaches. They placed an order and we were all very happy at the time. I also remember some of the shrapnel landed in the Breda stables and alot of complaining went on.

I was involved in the Directorate of Projects in the SADF, evaluating, buying and stealing ideas on how South Africa could beat the weapon imbargo, Gallil's from Israel, Leopard Tanks from West Germany and Buffels sold to Sri Lanka. Not to mention the nukes...hee hee, but I'm not sure if my secrets act has expired yet. Kind Regards Strapper.