News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

British WW1 Soft Cap...real or fake?

Jock

Not my field of expertise either however the Tank Corps badge seems a particularly good Unit to find a cap to (or am I just being cynical) and I have to say I find that genuine items on ebay do attract the bids, seems a low price for an item like this with only three days to go.

Before I offend anyone I know bargains can still be had on EBAY and that not everyone is an expert but good things attract bids in my experiance. Imagine if this was a 'Hogspear' item I doubt if it would still be around the £30 mark.

My twopenneth for what its worth!

Best Simon

British headgear is not my field now, had in the past pre-ww1 21st Lancer complete uniform, and others. The cap looks good - moth tacking on top, darkening on front around badge, and old chin strap. In side looks OK, with proper marks. I do not know about badge (not my field). You can not always go on price - on ebay, sometimes very good stuff sells low, except German and old British medals. note: I got these two off ebay recently. Bavarian Order of Military Merit 4th with swords (extra fine - no chipping, marked "800" on back of sword arm - dealer did not mention) $323.00 US with postage). Hesse-Darmstadt 1840-1866 Field Service Medal no ribbon 1st type US $17.00 with postage. Hope this helps Captain Albert

I think there are still bargains to be had on eBay...theres just so much fakes around it puts me off bidding for something like this when i dont know enough about it. Anyone got any thoughts on the WD stamp inside..?

Edited by jocktamson

I don't believe this is an original WW1 cap. At first glance the top photo appears quite convincing, but on closer inspection there are 7 lines of peak stitching instead of the usual 6, the underside of the peak has a fold that shouldn't be there, the WD stamp is amateurish, and the lining is of a weird material that I've never seen in any British WW1 cap in my decades of collecting. A good-ish copy, in my opinion.

Edited by William1

£212 - somebody's made an expensive mistake! Personally I think it's worth doing the research before spending the money, but evidently there are people who can't be bothered. There are plenty of pictures of original soft caps on the Internet, and the Great War Forum in particular is a very good reference for this sort of thing.

There are plenty of pictures of original soft caps on the Internet, and the Great War Forum in particular is a very good reference for this sort of thing.

Just took another look over there to make sure my criticism was fair. Some photos there, but fewer interior shots and less chapter-and-verse than I remembered. That cap is definitely a wrong un, and no experienced collector would have touched it, but until the equivalent to Karkee Web is created for uniform, it's hard for tyros to know what's what. Bear garden!

I remember these caps being sold in Portobello Road and Charing Cross at the end of the 1970s. I had one with dodgy-looking RAMC badges and GS buttons on it. We believed them to be from Berman & Nathan, enhanced at some point with WD stamps.

PK

The final price says it all. Real ones have suddenly become extremely sought after and within the past few months have been making not less than £300, and sometimes a good deal more. Amazing, considering that they were a £150 item just a couple of years ago.

There's currently another copy, not even as good as this (it doesn't even have eyelets) on a dealer's website for £460. The same dealer has a "Corblimey" for £1250 which apparently is "on hold". There are a number of features about this that don't match the pattern. Oh dear....