News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

BRITISH POLICE MEDAL GROUP

I have just posted these under British Medals - however, it occured to me that many members don't always look at other sub-forums, so am including them here as well.

Awarded to Inspector Herbert H. DEAN , his LS&GC is King's Crown. I don't know his Force and am wondering if someone can help ? The Defence Medal marks his War service and he was also, given the 1953 Coronation Medal. I thought it interesting that his Life Saving Medal from 1937 is still present in the original box.

Mervyn

Isn't there a society of collectors of life saving awards? Hopefully one of our number is a member who can help.

Nice group as always, I've never tried to research a UK police group but can't imagine it's that easy.

Simon

Mervyn

Isn't there a society of collectors of life saving awards? Hopefully one of our number is a member who can help.

Nice group as always, I've never tried to research a UK police group but can't imagine it's that easy.

Simon

Mervyn,

Its the Royal Life Saving Society's medal for swimming proficiency.

Paul

Mervyn

Simon

Mervyn,

Its the Royal Life Saving Society's medal for swimming proficiency.

Paul

I rarely buy at auction - however, I liked his LS. I had hoped it was the bronze Royal Humane Society - it wasn't fully described - they are worth about £180 ($280). As Paul says, this is a qualification award - however, it is named and dated.

Perhaps one of our Police medal collectors can help with his Force - I have no idea how to find it ?

Guest pikemedals

hi i think the only way to find police officer force in which he serve in is to look at the 1953 coronation medal roll.that if he got the coronation medal for being in the police that the time. i must say it a nice little group of medals.paul

Herbert Henry Dean is shown on the 1953 Coronation Medal Roll as an Inspector and he was serving in the Met. There is no other recipient called HH Dean.

I had a quick check in the 1951 Police Almanac and can't find him there (quite a few Chief Inspectors shown but not Inspectors)

Then checked the 1957 Police Almanac in the hope that he had made Ch Insp, only to find that the 1957 edition only shows Supts! (most of the Ch Insps had been replaced with Supts).

That's all I can do for you

The 1935 / 1977 Jubilee and 1937 / 1953 Coronation Rolls are all available on CD. They are just photographed pages of the rolls with just a basic index and so take a little while to search for the actual page. Also some pages are difficult to read as the binding of the book means that quite a few pages show the 'curvature' near the spine of the book. However they are very useful for checking out these medals when they come with a group.

I had one group to a Supt which I had owned for several years without knowing his force until finally I identified his county force when a friend located him on the Coronation Roll. He knew an officer who had served in that same force and within a few weeks I had several photos of the man plus an outline of his complete career. All thanks to the 1953 Coronation Roll.

• 2 weeks later...
    • 1 year later...

N Division was Islington (N London) - now the Met Police are based around the London Boroughs - Islington still is one of the Boroughs. Where the new titles align with old Divisions these are given below in brackets - most of those shown are the 1910 designations except Z Div which was formed in 1921.

Barking and Dagenham

Barnet

Bexley

Brent

Bromley

Camden

Croydon (Z Div)

Ealing

Enfield

Greenwich (R Div)

Hackney (J Div)

Hammersmith and Fulham (T Div)

Haringey

Harrow

Havering

Hillingdon

Hounslow

Islington (N Div)

Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea (B Div)

Kingston upon Thames

Lambeth (L Div)

Lewisham

Merton

Newham

Redbridge

Richmond upon Thames

Southwark (M Div)

Sutton

Tower Hamlets

Waltham Forest

Wandsworth (V Div)