News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WW1 Medal Bar

Hi guys,

I just picked up a nice, though fairly common, 3-place bar and wanted to ask a question on the medal engravings.

These were awarded to a driver (Tom Carrick) in the Royal Field Artillery; Regiment 1839. I notice that the 1914-15 Star is engraved with R. F. A. however, I see the War & Victory Medals are only marked R. A. Is that normal?

Thanks, just learning a new area.

Tim

Tim,

Quite normal as Mike says.

He arrived in France in April 1915 with the RFA but the branch of service within the RA wasn't differentiate on the rims of the BWM and VM. They're all Royal Artillery on pairs.

Tony

According to his Medal Index Card he also had the number 755409, which indicates that he was a Territorial, and his original unit was 251st Bde., (1/2nd Northumbrian). Nominally part of the 50th Division, they were sent to various other divisions: http://www.1914-1918.net/50div.htm.

No service papers seem to survive for him.

Edited by Michael Johnson

Thanks guys! Appreciate the quick answers.cheers.gif

I do have another question concerning the research aspects here. I used http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/ and found Carrick, both regiments he served in, but not much else.

Is there a better, more detailed, place to look online for this type of information? I assume, if I want an actual printout of his Medal Index Card, I have to request it through one of these sites?

Mike, the link you included in your post did not work for me?

Thanks again guys and now I'll have to take another look into my British VIC's.beer.gif

Regards,

Tim

Many service records for the ranks were destroyed during the 2nd World War so more often than not only the MIC is available. The long, long trail is a good place for information. Here's Michael's link, hopefully it works this time http://www.1914-1918.net/50div.htm

I use ancestry to find surviving records etc. and was lucky enough to find the records to a surveyor/cartographer's pair I recently bought, had survived the fire although in a poor condition.

If you would like a copy of his MIC drop me a pm with your email address.

Cheers

Tony