News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Possible Thailand Breast Star ?

Linasl

Greetings Everybody.

I recently bought a beautiful Breast Star that I think is from Thailand - but I can easily be wrong. I though am quite confident it is of South East Asia in origin. It resembles some type of military breast star, or possibly some association medal, or is it just a fantasy piece. I really do not know. If you have any thoughts, please let me know.

I have attached a low resolution medal on this post, but have high-resolution photos on PhotoBucket, if you follow this link:

http://s752.photobuc...0Breast%20Star/

Any information would be useful.

Thank you. Linas

Greetings Everybody.

I recently bought a beautiful Breast Star that I think is from Thailand - but I can easily be wrong. I though am quite confident it is of South East Asia in origin. It resembles some type of military breast star, or possibly some association medal, or is it just a fantasy piece. I really do not know. If you have any thoughts, please let me know.

I have attached a low resolution medal on this post, but have high-resolution photos on PhotoBucket, if you follow this link:

Any information would be useful.

Thank you. Linas

It's not any of the Thai orders I know. Can we get a closer look at the crown? It may be Lao?

Hello. I added some more photos on my PhotoBucket album. I don't know if this will help due to reduction in resolution when I increase the size. I do not have it in my possession yet, so I have to use the photos the seller provided. Hope it helps. Here is the PhotoBucket link again:

http://s752.photobucket.com/albums/xx168/linasl/Possible%20Thailand%20Breast%20Star/

Thanks. Linas

Hello. I added some more photos on my PhotoBucket album. I don't know if this will help due to reduction in resolution when I increase the size. I do not have it in my possession yet, so I have to use the photos the seller provided. Hope it helps. Here is the PhotoBucket link again:

Thanks. Linas

Hmm, doesn't look exactly like any of the crowns on my Thai orders, but also not exactly like my Lao ODM. Has the Thai chakra, but a little different. Pin looks French, which suggests Indochina. No three-headed elephant (Laos). Let me delve into some old notes.

Edited by Hugh

Thanks Hugh.

I really want to find out about this. I think it's a beauty. I honestly appreciate you going "on the hunt."

Take care.

Linas

Doesn't appear in any of John Sylvester's notes on Laos / Cambodia, nor on Royal Ark. Doesn't appear in my extensive book on Thai ODM. Starting to run out of gas. I'll pause for inspiration.

Hugh

As with my last message, I appreciate your efforts Hugh. It clearly HAS to be South East Asia, but what country, what time period, and for what purpose are what I really would like to know. I paid a pretty penny for it, so I hope you, or others, can come up with something. Thanks again.

Tkae care. Linas

As with my last message, I appreciate your efforts Hugh. It clearly HAS to be South East Asia, but what country, what time period, and for what purpose are what I really would like to know. I paid a pretty penny for it, so I hope you, or others, can come up with something. Thanks again.

Tkae care. Linas

I haven't looked through the OMSA database. Have you?

Hello Hugh. I am ashamed to say that I have never used the OMSA database.

Linas

Here's the link to the SE Asia section.

http://www.omsa.org/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=688

Hello Hugh. I am ashamed to say that I have never used the OMSA database.

Linas

Hi Linas,

I hate to be the messenger with the bad news but your medal looks somewhat suspect. I would need to see good close up views of the reverse.

Richard

Hello Linas:

I do not recall ever seeing a Thai Breast Badge in only one color. In this case blue. The answer may be in the reverse of the medal. It should be at least gilded in a gold wash and highly polished. If it is a dull grey rough finish it is very suspect. In any event I wish you the best of luck in your acquisition.

Hello Linas:

I do not recall ever seeing a Thai Breast Badge in only one color. In this case blue. The answer may be in the reverse of the medal. It should be at least gilded in a gold wash and highly polished. If it is a dull grey rough finish it is very suspect. In any event I wish you the best of luck in your acquisition.

Hi, Richard,

This doesn't resemble any of the ODM in my book. Is it close to anything you recognize?

Hugh

Hi Linas,

This is some kind of Thai Navy pin. I've an example also, but not with as nice a pin as yours. I'd guess yours is a little older than mine (what ever that means to you ;-)

There are many different kinds of such military and civil pins. Maybe one day I'll add a section for these on my website ... (And so I'll also have incentive to better identify them.)

This example is not very common. My wife has only seen this one, and she picked it up for me. I've seen another in Thailand. There was also one at the last SOS show.

Rgds,

Dave

www.indochinamedals.com

Always looking for interesting ODM and table medals from Laos, Cambodia, French Indochine, and Thailand

FANTASTIC Dave. Thank you so much. Do you know how old YOUR pin is? It could help me date the one I have. Also, in your estimate, what is the value of such a pin? Just a rough estimate is good for me.

Again Dave, I really want you to know that I appreciate your input VERY MUCH !

Regards, Linas

FANTASTIC Dave. Thank you so much. Do you know how old YOUR pin is? It could help me date the one I have. Also, in your estimate, what is the value of such a pin? Just a rough estimate is good for me.

Again Dave, I really want you to know that I appreciate your input VERY MUCH !

Regards, Linas

>>Thank you so much. Do you know how old YOUR pin is?

Nope - that's what I mean I don't know how much that can mean to you ;-)

>>Also, in your estimate, what is the value of such a pin?

The one at SOS was I think priced around $50 or $80 or so - I don't remember it getting sold. However, there is not much of a market for these kinds of things, so prices would not normally be high, unless there was special interest. I collect obscure Thai pins and stuff, so if I had observed the pin mechanism different like that, I might have picked it up for that to have a different example.

Rgds,

Dave

www.indochinamedals.com

Always looking for interesting ODM and table medals from Laos, Cambodia, French Indochine, and Thailand

Hi Linas,

This is some kind of Thai Navy pin. I've an example also, but not with as nice a pin as yours. I'd guess yours is a little older than mine (what ever that means to you ;-)

There are many different kinds of such military and civil pins. Maybe one day I'll add a section for these on my website ... (And so I'll also have incentive to better identify them.)

This example is not very common. My wife has only seen this one, and she picked it up for me. I've seen another in Thailand. There was also one at the last SOS show.

Rgds,

Dave

www.indochinamedals.com

Congratulations, Dave, of course it is! Sometimes I embarrass myself by overlooking the obvious - I have one of these in gold hanging on the wall of my den in a display case, along with some other Thai badges! (See att.)

I believe this one may be the badge for graduation from the RTN Command and Staff college. Not sure about the distinction between silver and gold. It may be that one is for the junior course (LCDR) and the gold is for the senior course (CDR / CAPT).

I think the vertical badge is for the Army equivalent C & S college, and the tiger / bayonet may be a Ranger badge. I'd love it if someone could confirm.

Best,

Hugh

Hello Hugh.

Great info. Can you please help me with the acronyms? Not my area of expertise.

RTN Command and Staff college - what is RTN?

junior course (LCDR) - what is LCDR?

senior course (CDR / CAPT) - what is CDR / CAPT?

I would really appreciate it.

Thanks. Linas