News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unknown Imperial Era Chinese Order or Medal

heusy68

Thanks for posting this, Emmanuel, I'm always interested in seeing more Asian items on the Forum.

Having said that, I don't know what this is. The shape of the pendant is mildly reminiscent of the Double Dragon, but the rest of the design is totally different. I wonder if one of the warlords used the general shape when making up his own design.

If it is of that era, I'd expect a number on the back and possibly some additional writing. Are you sure it's from that era?

Best,

Hugh

Edited by Hugh

You can see to very nice double dragons on each side, was there any other medals that used the double dragons like CHINA Order of the Double Dragon

-How many classes were manufactured, could there have been a medal version as well??

-What dos the inscription say that is written on the front, do all Imperial china medals have the numbers marked on the reverse??

Look forward to hearing back from you all with some good news on what it is;)

Thank you

Lorenzo

Edited by IMHF

You can see to very nice double dragons on each side, was there any other medals that used the double dragons like CHINA Order of the Double Dragon

-How many classes were manufactured, could there have been a medal version as well??

-What dos the inscription say that is written on the front, do all Imperial china medals have the numbers marked on the reverse??

Look forward to hearing back from you all with some good news on what it is;)

Thank you

Lorenzo

So many questions (you)

So few answers (me)

Werlich shows five classes, the first three of which have three grades. I'm not aware of a medal associate with the Order.

I don't read Chinese, but hope that another member will help us.

Most ROC orders have numbers on the reverse which may be traced to a recipient. I'm not so sure about Empire ODM.

Someone more expert needs to join in.

Hugh

• 1 year later...

So many questions (you)

So few answers (me)

Werlich shows five classes, the first three of which have three grades. I'm not aware of a medal associate with the Order.

I don't read Chinese, but hope that another member will help us.

Most ROC orders have numbers on the reverse which may be traced to a recipient. I'm not so sure about Empire ODM.

Someone more expert needs to join in.

Hugh

Ching Period Medal for Meritorious Deeds and Achievments, several varieties exist, probably manufactured after 1900.

Paul

Thanks for this Paul. Qing medals are an even more obscure area than Warlord medals.

The Chinese characters read "Gong Pai" or Merit Badge.

Welcome back Lorenzo! To answer your question, the Order of the Double Dragon was awarded in five Classes with the first three having three Grades, for a total of eleven categories.

For the Second Type Double Dragons (1902-1912), the First Class and Second Class were awarded as breast stars and sash badges (although most recipients apparently wore these as neck badges).

The Second Class sash badge has the appearance of a five-petal plum blossom, while the First Class sash badge has six-petals.

The medal above is indeed very similar to the Second Class sash badge.

Incidentally, while the Double Dragon was ostensibly replaced by Imperial decree in March 1911 by the Da Bao Zhang (Great Precious Order, also described by Western writers as the Grand Order of the Throne), and the Orders of the Red, Yellow, Blue and Black Dragon, it seems these later Orders were never awarded although specimens exist (most likely jeweler's samples).

The London Gazette continued to publish approvals to British citizens to accept and wear "the Order of the Double Dragon" with one award described as conferred by the Emperor on 6 February 1912. The Dynasty was overthrown on 12 February 1912 when the Emperor abdicated. No approvals to accept and wear the Coloured Dragons were ever published by the London Gazette.

Some more discussion here:

http://gmic.co.uk/in...-double-dragon/

Gavin

Edited by drclaw

• 9 months later...
    • 10 years later...

Dear Gentlemen,

Definitely an early type of 'Merit Medal (功牌 / Gōng pái)' with no connection with the "Order of the double dragon".

It's likely that the 'Merit Medal' replaced the paper "功牌 / Gōng pái" due to the emergence of counterfeits.

image.thumb.jpeg.73674b31555477862d465d204b1e0dc9.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.2167b3c6c93a469fceca72b78fa2380d.jpeg

image.jpeg.0831fa568d0bfd2e519b7903a8c9c772.jpeg

Yours sincerely,

No one