News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Victoria Cross replica

Hi all,

Has anyone seen the VC replica by Hancocks of London? What do you think of it, is it worth their price, etc?

Thanks

kevin

I tried looking on their site for the VC you are speaking of I could not find it, can you please post a link to it.

Thank you

Lorenzo

Hello,

I've been informed that Hancock doesn't sell replica VCs to private collectors.

They make copies only on official request of public intitutions like museums, etc.

Best wishes,

E.L.

EL,

I beg to differ. Hancocks came out with a limited edition of the VC made by them, cased by them. They are available for 395 pounds. Email Hancocks with any questions.

kevin

That's very interesting indeed!

In 1984, I wrote to Hancocks, asking if it would have been possible to purchase a copy VC, but they kindly replied that it was impossible, for the reasons said in my post.

I think I would like to add such a specimen to my collection now...

Best wishes,

E.L.

That's very interesting indeed!

In 1984, I wrote to Hancocks, asking if it would have been possible to purchase a copy VC, but they kindly replied that it was impossible, for the reasons said in my post.

I think I would like to add such a specimen to my collection now...

Best wishes,

E.L.

Hi Elmar,

I purchased the medal and have it in my collection. I was just wondering what anyone else thought of it. On another British medal forum many of the members put it down stating that Hancocks was only out to make money, etc. My thinking is that this replica medal is made by the only company who produces the VC and it will be worth the investment. PM me your email address and I will send you a pic.

kevin

Since you've bought one, it would be nice to see a picture. Was there anything about it - box,paperwork etc. - that makes it special. Out of interest what did you pay ?

Hi all,

The medal came cased with Hancocks name and logo printed on the inside cover. It also came with a certificate of authenticity. I paid about 600 US dollars for it. I just thought it would be nice to have an original copy as I can not afford a real VC. I can send you a pic if you provide me your email. I am at work and can't get into any of the photo sites to upload the pic.

kevin

Kevin - thank you for those details. I'm sure that over the years the value will go up - meanwhile you have the pleasure of owning one made by the only company authorised to make the originals. On the letter of authenticity do they say what metal they used ? You will know - of course - that the originals are made from one breechblock and there is concern about the amount left. However, London is littered with Russian cannon that were brought back following the Crimea War. They put them into the ground - barrels downwards - at road junctions to protect pedestrians from horsedrawn coaches and waggons that often cut corners. I thought it would be nice if they had used one of these old cannons to make the copies.

p.s. When you can - post a picture for us all to see.

Edited by Mervyn Mitton

This is a reply I received from Hancocks when I was inquiring about medal. I will see what I can do about posting a picture.

kevin

"Metal is bronze similar to the original & the mould used is not the original mould. It is the only only limited edition produced and cased by Hancocks."

<BR clear=all>With Compliments

Hancocks

Est. 1849

52 & 53 Burlington Arcade

London

W1J 0HH

UK<BR style="mso-special-character: line-break"><BR style="mso-special-character: line-break">

$800.00 for a fake (Copy) "Same thing" that is crazy, I would just stick with the $10.00 Copy it will not increase that much in value. A copy of a medal is like buying a new car and driving it off the lot, it looses value.

Lorenzo

In fact I don't like reproduction due to the high volume of WWII German Fakes that are being manufactured they look so real that the experts can't tell if they are or not;)

If they are making $800.00 copies, how can you tell it from the original manufactured one that is scarey to pay some big mula and gat a fake;0

Lorenzo

I'm not into copies but, if you wanted a copy of the VC, the Hancock examples are much better than many of the others out there.

Search eBay for several available copies, most are rather poor but they are under $100. The Hancock versions command high prices as they were limited and numbered.

Tim cheers.gif

• 1 month later...

post-10162-001757000 1286211877_thumb.jp

Is this a real VC? The image sure looks good. What should a person look for in a original?

Johnny R.

OK, how does one you post an image on this Forum?

I see that the posting is down for repair.

Edited by johnnyrocket

post-10162-001757000 1286211877_thumb.jp

That pic looks like a pic of Canada's Victoria Cross. I am not an expert in the VC. I have seen real ones at the British Imperial War Museum but I did not handle any. I also have the VC Copy by Hancocks.

kevin

Yes that does look like the design of the new Canadian award because of the latin Pro Valori which got around having to put it in both french (????) and english (For Valour).

I was fortunate to be able to handle all the VCs owned by the Wardrobe Museum (Wilts) and I have some photographs of them somewhere. I will try to find them and post some here.

Incidentally the original medals were all displayed in the museum until relatively recently but have now been replaced with copies due to the very high insurance costs of displaying the originals; these are now locked away in a bank.

With regards to the Hancocks VC 'copies' I don't believe it would be that easy to rename one to make it look like an original because of the way they have named the centre of the reverse.

Edited by Odin Mk 3

• 1 year later...