News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Mongolian Partisan Badge

Stogieman

• Replies 206
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Now the speculation is................ why such a low Number and who received the first 3? Was this an "importance" issue? Seniority? Some other condition as to who received which badge?

A rare little gem in a book that I couldn't read for anything.

Guest Rick Research

The original photograph in the book is literally the size of a little-finger's nail.

FIRST clue: he is wearing an enamel ribbon bar, of the type introduced in 1945.

And if I am reading these correctly, based on the chart in Dr Battushig's book:

[attachmentid=21215]

The 1950 and Cyrillic inside the cover says "Ong" (which I believe is "Mister") "butsakhzarda...."

Guest Rick Research

Whereas this is something apparently dated from 1960:

[attachmentid=21216]

There is nothing in this book which appears to bear a serial number indicating that it came with a badge-- I suspect it is a "privileges" book, indicating the Old Partisan had enummerated perks on the subsequent completely pre-printed pages, Soviet style (extra pay, housing allownce, personal service priorities and so on).

The design of the badge seems very very modern to me, but the enamelwork seems similar to that of the Khasan and Khalkin Gol badges. The weird soldered wire coil channel for the usual undersized flimsy pin in typical of those I see in Red Chinese awards from the late 1940s and 1950s.

So how old ARE the Partusan badges? What DOES the Book actually do? And who was this recipient?

The book does indeed not mention the number of the badge.

Sometimes the number is added in a non-official manner.

These badges were issued starting in the early forties to the partisans of the 1921 revolution. I suppose the handwritten 1921 date, is the year the partisan actually joined the revolutionary group. Though I have no hard evidence for this.

See also this thread:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=4084&st=20

I will try to get a full translation of these 2 pages.

Jan

Edited by vatjan

Guest Rick Research

:beer: I've merged the TWO separate threads into one so we don't have to flip back and forth.

So, actually autographed books... neat!!!

I've examined 6 of these docs sofar (well 7 with the one in the thread, but I can't read the date :blush: )

If a conclusion is possible from so little info, one might say they were awarded once a year.

I've seen following award dates:

20 march 32 (1942) three times

26 july 33 (1943)

27 july 34 (1944) twice

I'll see what else I can unearth

Jan

Edited by vatjan

Jan.... Rick said there's some issues dating these as the Mongolian Calender (per Dr. Battushig) (page 11)actually begins in 1911 as year one! So the "Year 36" date is actually 1946!!

This is actually is born out by the photograph in my booklet... there were no ribbon bars in Mongolia until 1945.......... while the book says "year 36".........

Jan.... Rick said there's some issues dating these as the Mongolian Calender (per Dr. Battushig) (page 11)actually begins in 1911 as year one! So the "Year 36" date is actually 1946!!

This is actually is born out by the photograph in my booklet... there were no ribbon bars in Mongolia until 1945.......... while the book says "year 36".........

Yes, I know, that is why I put the "real" year between brackets after the Mongolian year.

Yours is the first I see with the date written in Uighur, all the others have "normal" numbers.

But I'm still digging :P

Jan

Guest Rick Research

Wups! My mistake-- not "ong" but "ond " or perhaps "o kd" and with Jan's in posts #s 42 and 43, that looks like some sort of classification, followed by the number 1--

"1950 ond 1 Udaa Yava(i?n?m?) in #42 and

"Zd(spot)?? z ? Udaa Yav

1951 O(K?)D 1 Udaa Yavsai"

The handwriting is bad, let alone Mongolian written in Russian. But these entries look like some sort of "checked by" of the sort found in Soviet paperwork-- verifying status of the person as eligible for privileges in 1950/51?

Here is something that has occurred to me while enjoying this thread:

1) if ALL these books were for the original intrepid band of 1921 Partisans-- why is the "21" of the year written in and not printed? This suggests to me that there are OTHER Books out there with OTHER years qualifying as a Partisan!!

??

:speechless1:

The handwriting is bad, let alone Mongolian written in Russian. But these entries look like some sort of "checked by" of the sort found in Soviet paperwork-- verifying status of the person as eligible for privileges in 1950/51?

I had thought about that aswell, maybe there were some priviliges that went with the badge, but every so often they had to prove they were still alive to continue benefitting from this. I suppose administration in a mainly nomadic culture country is not an easy thing.

1) if ALL these books were for the original intrepid band of 1921 Partisans-- why is the "21" of the year written in and not printed? This suggests to me that there are OTHER Books out there with OTHER years qualifying as a Partisan!!

I've never seen one, but I would assume there are 1920 maybe even 1919 entries for the partisans that joined Sukhbaatar's or Choibalsan's revolutionary groups early

Guest Rick Research

Could be "39" as in = 1949! :beer: The handwriting is awful. Apparently, although enamel workers were all carefully preserved, penmanship teachers and barbers fell totally victim to The Revolution and never recovered anyplace in the Communist world. :speechless1:

OR that says "1950/1951 'checked and verified' " sort of thing. :sleep::cheeky:

I'm sticking to Soviet! I'm not learning another language! Bad handwriting in the ones I already know is hard enough! :ninja: