News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Imperial Austrian Military Merit Cross

Noor

• 4 months later...
    • 3 months later...

Oh, sorry guys, didn't realised that I posted these two pieces under the wrong post. If moderator can help, maybe is possible to "creat" a new thread with them as a "Medal for Military Merit "Signum Laudis".

Also, is it correct that the double crown (Austria and Hungary) version silver medal was in use only April 1917 - October 1918?

Kind Regards,

Timo aka Noor

Beautiful pieces here, gentlemen! I have only one, humble and common example of this award...

Noor, yes, the double crown was used only on Karl pieces. Karl desperately tried to keep the collapsing empire together and this reflected also in some awards, where he tried to make them less "german" and more "multicultural" as his country was. Double crown on Signum laudis is one example, the other is change of the language on bravery medals - from German "Tapferkeit" to neutral latin "fortitudini".

Hello,

I think that the use of the word "Fortitudini" to Emperor Karl's Tapferkeitsmedaillen wasn't necessarily to be more "neutral" towards the opposition, but to exalt the importance of this decoration, giving to it the motto of the Military Order of Maria Theresia. On the other hand, "Fortitudini" and "der Tapferkeit" have the same meaning.

Best wishes,

Elmar Lang

Edited by Elmar Lang

I'am with valter.

they had to change tapferkeit for fortitudini as the hungarians stated after the death of emperor franz joseph that the won't accept any longer bravery decorations for hungarian citizens with german inscription.

this was also the reason why the kriegskreuz für zivilverdienste got (a bit earlier) a latin inscription.

regards

josef

Edited by Josef Rietveld

Well, the problem with the use of German with Hungarians can be true, considering those difficult times. It's also a fact that in the Austro-Hungarian monarchy, the use of Latin was very wide also in older times.

Anyways, if we think at the modification of the Signum Laudis' suspension between FJ and K...

Perhaps, I'm too romantic...

E.L.

• 4 months later...

Hallo Gents, :D

I spotted one of these Crosses, a II Class (without wreath and swords,) with a silver back plate in a Gypsy market, what would be a fair price to pay for such an award, its appears to be missing the ribbon Ose and is hanging from a thinsilver necklace chain, the front enamel is ok as well as is the centre medallion.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

..there was no II. Class MVK without War Decoration awarded as far as I know..

Hallo Iver,

Possibly my "misidetification" with regards the class,

this is not a pin-back type but was originally intended to hang from a medal ribbon.

Sorry I did not have a chance to make a picture, to do so invariably alerts the seller,

and then the asking price rockets upwards.

Kevin in Deva.

The I.Class was a "pin-back" decoration, II.Class - a neck ribbon and III.Class on a trifold ribbon on chest. Until 1914 (23.10.) there was only one Class - the later III.Class. The I. and II. Class were also awarded only in war time - also with War Decoration (wreath) and from 13.12.1916 it was posssible to add the swords. From what you have written I think its the MVK.3. There were some sold on an internet auction site for cca 120€, but in nice condition without ennamel breaks and with ribbon of course...