News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Anyone here collect or have any of the Austrian shooting achievement badges?

I have quite a few now, I'll post an old scan I took a while back, but I do have quite a few more now. If anyone wants to see any detailed images of any just ask.

Cheers

Don

post-116-1136114251.jpg

Here's a grouping I picked up a while back. It contains the Gau Master Shooter Badges for combined Rifle, Small Calibre & Pistole for 1941 - 1944, plus the 3yr Master shooter badge with it's Erenkarte & the 4yr Master Shooter Clasp attached to the 1944 badge. This is usually seen attached to the 3yr badge.

Cheers

Don

post-116-1136114767.jpg

Here you go, sorry about the poor quality, had trouble getting the light, been very dull here the last couple of days.

From what I understand, these cases came with the 3yr Master Shooter badge (the enamelled one seen in an earlier picture) with spaces for the 3 other year badges (1941, '42 & '43). However as this guy also won the 4yr clasp I keep the 4 seperate badges ('41-'44 with clasp) in it & keep the 3yr seperately.

Cheers

Don

post-116-1136216106.jpg

Thanks for that digging out quickly and showing.It is just like made for my collection :cheeky: I have never taken any interest in these badges individually,but now seeing them grouped really is impressive.Maybe one lucky day....

Cheers

Anyone here collect or have any of the Austrian shooting achievement badges?

I have quite a few now, I'll post an old scan I took a while back, but I do have quite a few more now. If anyone wants to see any detailed images of any just ask.

Cheers

Don

Don, I have only one of thses beautiful badges. I especially like the superior red enameling on the eagle. By the way, are yours made by Alois Klammer? Also, do you notice a higher attaching pin than normally found? What I mean to say is how far it rises from the revrse of the badge. This one is a little grubby but I don't want to clean it. Thank You. Robert

post-730-1136300587.jpg

Robert,

Thanks for posting your badge, it looks like one of the smaller lapel size ones, is it?

About half of mine are unmarked the rest are C. Poellath, except for the small shield shaped ones in the group above which are Klammer. I was told along time ago to avoid any marked 'A.G. & Co. M?nchen' as a large number of these appeared with one particular German dealer in the 1970's. It not clear if they were unfinished period ones out of the woodwork or fakes, but the gold is never quite right on them & most are a bronze colour.

I have about 25 different ones of these in various sizes & grade (Gold, Silver & Bronze) now. The finish doesn't last very well on them & sometimes the only way to see what grade they are is to look at the pin plate. They weren't made to last just for the competition really, which is strange considering the quality of the enamelling as you pointed out.

Yes, the pins are quite pronounced on them, quite often they are pushed flat against the badge, I guess because they bashed so earily.

Here's a nice silver I have, the image doesn't do it justice, it's stunning in hand.

Cheers

Don

post-116-1136307644.jpg

Robert,

Thanks for posting your badge, it looks like one of the smaller lapel size ones, is it?

About half of mine are unmarked the rest are C. Poellath, except for the small shield shaped ones in the group above which are Klammer. I was told along time ago to avoid any marked 'A.G. & Co. M?nchen' as a large number of these appeared with one particular German dealer in the 1970's. It not clear if they were unfinished period ones out of the woodwork or fakes, but the gold is never quite right on them & most are a bronze colour.

I have about 25 different ones of these in various sizes & grade (Gold, Silver & Bronze) now. The finish doesn't last very well on them & sometimes the only way to see what grade they are is to look at the pin plate. They weren't made to last just for the competition really, which is strange considering the quality of the enamelling as you pointed out.

Yes, the pins are quite pronounced on them, quite often they are pushed flat against the badge, I guess because they bashed so earily.

Here's a nice silver I have, the image doesn't do it justice, it's stunning in hand.

Cheers

Don

Don, It makes sense that the pin attaching device would get smashed down quickly. I've just done a quick check of my other enamels with similar set-ups and this one is by far the highest. Maybe a replacement. Take a look. P.S. Still searching for the maker's name with the cicle S. (Reichskolinialbund)

Robert PSS It is the lapel size pin.

post-730-1136309693.jpg

• 1 month later...
    • 4 months later...

[attachmentid=45975]

Gents A recent arrival to post before it goes in the Riker box. !943 small caliber in silver. Although hard to see in scan, the pin attaching plate is marked C. Polleath. Good Day to all Robert

post-730-1152194097.jpg

Don Upon closer inspection you may be right. Actually under the black I see a lighter colored silver. Tell me sir, is the reverse of your example marked the same as mine? I am very temted to ever-so-carefully try to scratch some more of the black. Thanks for showing. Robert

Tell me sir, is the reverse of your example marked the same as mine?

Indeed it is Robert, same maker on the pin plate, & it also has the lines on the badge used as a guide for placing the pin. I don't seem to have a scan of it for some reason, if I get time over the weekend I'll dig the badge out & scan it.

Cheers

Don

Well I guess I will have to live with the black swastika. Everything else appears identical to your KK silver 1943. I just can't beleive I would let an obvious difference like that get by me. It showas a decent amount of age also. Do you know if the fakers have been at these at a great rate? Thanks Don Robert

Do you know if the fakers have been at these at a great rate? Thanks Don Robert

I don't believe these have been convincingly attempted yet......

I personally don't like any marked 'A.G. & Co. M?nchen' as a very large number of these suddenly appeared on market in the 1970's. There are only two types of badge marked by this maker, the Master version is suspect because it has a bronze finish and it should be gold. That then causes me to wonder about the other one, so I just keep away from them.

Cheers

Don

I have been studying our examples very carefully for the last few minutes. The pebbles in the red enamel appear identical as do the numerals. I don't understand the black swatika though. Eagle's frown identical too. Thanks for your help Robert :cool:

[attachmentid=46130][attachmentid=46131]

I am starting to be drawn to these shooting badges. I just picked this one up at a show I attended today. Standsschutzenverband Tirol-Voralberg 1940 I looked at a few others but passed on them because I wasn't sure how they were supposed to be marked if at all. Thanks for looking. Robert

post-730-1152387466.jpg

post-730-1152387493.jpg

Don I had 2 different badges in my hand but balked because neither were marked. They were both square in shape. One was for WHW 1944 and the other was abit larger with the Tirolian eagle in red enamel on the right and a blackeagle and target on the left. Neither were marked so I balked. I can't seem to even find them in Husken either. They were both square in shape but utilized the Tirolian eagle in enamel. Any one out there have either one of them? I know my descriptions are a little fuzzy but now I am only relying on memory form a few hours ago. Have a nice weekend. Robert :cool:

I know the ones you mean, I honestly don't know & have only seem pictures of them, however I have my doubts about them. I know someone who may have more info, I'll try to contact him & see what he thinks.

Cheers

Don

Robert, I've been through my archive. You mentioned that they were square, but were they similar to these?

[attachmentid=46512] [attachmentid=46513]

I had my doubts about these but I've now heard back from someone I know who knows just about everything there is to know about hunting, shooting etc in the Third Reich. He believes that these shown here are original & have not yet been faked.

Cheers

Don

post-116-1152545256.jpg

post-116-1152545297.jpg