News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• 1 year later...

Been quiet here for some time. While I have added a few pieces new to me, they have been pictured before. I still enjoy picking them up and browsing this thread. :cool:

Hope you all are doing well and finding new and exciting pieces.

I have had this for a few years, will add it as a visual aid. Worn condition.

--dj--Joe

43.JPG

Edited by --dj--Joe
    Image added.

• 3 years later...

Thank you Gentleman.

Joe, I've never seen any signs of lacquer on any of the pieces that I've picked up.  I guess it's probably down to them only being worn for a very short period of time compared to membership badges etc.

• 3 months later...
    • 1 year later...
    On 07/10/2022 at 03:06, --dj--Joe said:

could it be possible that Roberts Meisterzeichen badge From page 5 could be categorized as a Festabzeichen ?

--dj--Joe

I'm not sure what to call them Joe.  To be honest I'm not even convinced that they are not fantasy pieces..... 

The wording is not consistent with the period, I've seen the phrase Kreis-Schützen-Verband used on earlier pieces & on later ones, but not on pieces from this period.  And I've never seen the word Meisterzeichen on a badge from this period either.

Also the manufacturer is one not seen on Austrian shooting badges.  Having said that, the style of crimping on the reverse is correct for a Danner made badge 🤔.  So I think that the jury is still out with these pieces.

The definitley come in bronze, silver & gold, but I haven't seen a wreathed version yet....

Don

File0671.jpg

6 hours ago, --dj--Joe said:

Don, you have the bronze, silver and gold. :)

Are the reverses all the same? Robert's example looked like period manufacture.

--dj--Joe

Yes Joe, the reverses are identical....  These are indeed strange beasts.

• 3 months later...

What a fascinating and informative thread.  Glad that I happened upon this.  I have a number of these myself picked over the years.  Most of what I  have collected has already been posted by other members but would like to post pics of my cased set.  Any information that Scowen could share after checking his resources would be greatly appreciated.  Would be great to determine the recipient(s).  I'm not sure on the grades for these due to the finish damage from the zinc.  Doing the best that I can in thinking clockwise from the top:  6 Jahre with enamel - 1944 in bronze - 1943 in silver - 1944 in gold?  The dull looking piece at upper right is 1943 and was obtained separately not part of the cased set.  Better pics to follow ...... 

IMG_0468.jpeg

From left to right: 6 Jahre - Gold 1944 - Bronze 1944

IMG_0469.jpeg

Reverse view of above:

6 Jahre - numbered 142 (bottom of wreath, very hard to make out in the pic, better in hand)

Gold 1944 - 2782

Bronze 1944 - 1056

IMG_0470.jpeg

The left example is the silver badge from the set.  Right is the unrelated piece, not sure of grade.

IMG_0471.jpeg

Reverse view of the above.

Silver 1943 - 2491

Unknown 1943 - 553

IMG_0472.jpeg

Edited by Lance O. Adams
    - Correct spelling error

As stated, I may have the grades wrong so any thoughts are welcome.  In fact I may have read somewhere that all of the Meisterschütze were originally in gold?  

I do have a couple of other interesting pieces that I don't think have been posted here that I would be happy to share if there is interest.  Thanks in advance for looking ......

Edited by Lance O. Adams
    Correct spelling errors

Hi Lance & welcome to the forum.

Some nice pieces you have there, thank you for posting them.  You read correctly, all of the dated Meisterschütze badges were originally gold grade.  Some unscrupulous dealers repainted them gold, silver or bronze to make them easier to shift.  This originally started when the large number of badges that had been in storage were released onto the market post war.  As they are made of zinc, most if not all of the finish would have gone from the badges, so if they were repainted in different colours, then they could be sold quicker to collectors who were unaware of how they should be.

The 6 year Meister badges were part of the released pieces from the stores.  These were never issued as they had been made in preparation for issuing in 1946 (there are also 9 year badges made to be issued in 1949!!!). There's nothing like forward planning.....

1944 badge #2782 was unawarded.

1944 badge #1056 was awarded to Hans Wolf from Innsbruck.

1943 badge #2491 was also unawarded (the highest numbe badge awarded that year was 2380).

1943 badge #553 was awaded to Adolf Kunsek from Innsbruck.

The badges awarded to Hans & Adolf were the only Meisters issued to them, either they did not qualify for them in other years or they did not take part in the Landesschiessen for the other years.

Hope this is of some interest & I look forward to seeing what else you may have.

Don

:) I am confused (but getting used to it). If a 3 yr. Meister badge was awarded in 1943, for 41-43. I assume the 4 yr. clasp was given for 1944. Was a 5 yr. clasp envisioned for 1945 since there was a 6 yr. badge planned for 1946?

I also wonder what was the original thought of jumping by threes. 3, 6, 9 Yr's.

Just wondering,

--dj--Joe