News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I like this one too. All of the ribbons appear to be old and the key piece (the 1866 non-combattant campaign cross) is an officially issued-type piece. There are copies (modern forgeries) of the non-combattant crosses, however, I like the context in this instance! I don't see anything that appears to be a problem with this group.

Best regards,

"SPM"

congrats nice bar! I guess a mix up on dealers part! Have to make sure he does not charge my visa account!!

I have to stop showing bars and take chances!!! banger.gif 2 or 3 bars i lost out on by showing them on the forum !

anyway nice never seen a 1866 oldenburg medalbeer.giflove.gif

@ Scottplen : I really feel for you; next time keep it discreetly and ask for opinions by PM if you don't want that somebody is quicker than you. I learned this lesson some years ago... :rolleyes:

On the positive side you still have the money to invest in another, maybe bigger medal bar.

Ciao,

Claudio

Edited by Claudio

I have to stop showing bars and take chances!!! 2 or 3 bars i lost out on by showing them on the forum !

I think most of us are checking the dealers and auction sites every day............. or even more often :whistle: If you have a rare not often seen bar on a dealers site you simply will not have the time to ask for opinions - because while you are asking others are buying , and not because you are posting it.... "normal" or "standart" bars that are showing up more often because of their combinations often given to soldiers you can show and discuss for shure - because there is not a 100 metre sprint final to get it... ;)

congrats nice bar! I guess a mix up on dealers part! Have to make sure he does not charge my visa account!!

I have to stop showing bars and take chances!!! banger.gif 2 or 3 bars i lost out on by showing them on the forum !

anyway nice never seen a 1866 oldenburg medalbeer.giflove.gif

Scott, that's why I discourage posting links to items that are for sale. People too lazy to do thier own searching will jump on an item if given the chance. Not saying that has happened here but it has happened to me elsewhere. Find a good mentor/someone you trust and ask them to look at items as a second pair of eyes. It works much better than showing it to the whole world and risking someone else buying it.

Of course even that method is not fool proof. I showed an item to someone I trusted and they hemmed and hawed with thier response until they found it and bought it for themselves.

About a year ago I was surfing eBay and came onto a medal I was interested in listed as a "Buy It Now". Fearing it would be gone quickly I hit the "key" and made the purchase. A good friend of mine sent me an email at almost the same time as I was making arrangements to pay for the medal through Pay Pal asking if I had seen it and did I think it was priced too high. I'll admit that it was indeed a "little" over market, I am so bad with money. :unsure: I had mixed feelings as, while I wanted it, I felt bad at the same time for having purchsed it. My friend thought it was a good joke and ever since he has laughed about it, not letting me forget of course that the Gods of collecting had favoured me that day. I offered it to him for what I had invested in it but he declined. Since that day he had added one to his collection at a much better price and probably one of better quality. So the story has a happy ending.

Point is that you win some, you lose some. As I learn about Imperial German medals, as an example, I have been making purchases without the mentoring of one of our members, who has been most helpful. While I have these bars at home now I have trepidations about posting them on the GMIC. I will do so soon but there is a chance I have blundered and that is something that I'll just have to deal, with provided they prove to be recently made up. At least I secured them for my collection and good or bad they are mine.

Regards

Brian