News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

One in the Same? Death Certificate

Gents,

My apologies in not being around for a while. I've been very busy with handling work related details and things about our house. So with the need for a much deserved break, my Wife and I decided to take a little time off and go for a Sunday drive over to Vermont. Once there, I happened upon a Flea Market and decided to purchase this item. It is a French Issued Death Certificate for a US Doughboy by the name of, Roy E. Parrish. I've seen all types of Death Certificates in my day however, never had the chance to purchase one for a decent price. I brought the item home and decided upon seeing if there was any information on the said name. The interesting part of this whole story is that I intended to find little information on the soldier except for a draft registration card or the like. The one interesting facet to this story is that there was a small picture of this Gentleman in the lower right corner of the frame and I noticed there there is quite a story behind this Soldier once I tied in a face with the name... Here is the link I found..

http://www.wvculture.org/history/wvmemory/vets/parrishroy/parrishroy01.html

One in the same? I think so... What is a document originating in West Virginia doing up here in the hills of Vermont? The mystery continues... The floor is yours Gents..

Gents,

My apologies in not being around for a while. I've been very busy with handling work related details and things about our house. So with the need for a much deserved break, my Wife and I decided to take a little time off and go for a Sunday drive over to Vermont. Once there, I happened upon a Flea Market and decided to purchase this item. It is a French Issued Death Certificate for a US Doughboy by the name of, Roy E. Parrish. I've seen all types of Death Certificates in my day however, never had the chance to purchase one for a decent price. I brought the item home and decided upon seeing if there was any information on the said name. The interesting part of this whole story is that I intended to find little information on the soldier except for a draft registration card or the like. The one interesting facet to this story is that there was a small picture of this Gentleman in the lower right corner of the frame and I noticed there there is quite a story behind this Soldier once I tied in a face with the name... Here is the link I found..

http://www.wvculture.org/history/wvmemory/vets/parrishroy/parrishroy01.html

One in the same? I think so... What is a document originating in West Virginia doing up here in the hills of Vermont? The mystery continues... The floor is yours Gents..

Gents,

After a great conversation with the West Virginian History Department's Archivist, I have decided to donate this document. This piece will be reunited to it's rightful place and I couldn't happier to facilitate the shipment. I'll keep you all posted with what happens from here.

Regards,

Joel

• 7 years later...

Almost 8 years later and you don't even know if they received the document or if it was lost in transit or they stuck it in a drawer or even sold it themselves?

To be honest, I'm not sure I would have donated it without some firm assurances in writing that it indeed would be in its "rightful place."  Foi est Tout, but verify.  Even then it would have taken some really smooth talking on their part.