News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello Everyone,

Here is a pair of medals that just arrived the other day. I was a bit apprehensive about the colour of the Friedrick-August Cross ribbon as it so so much different in colour compaired with the ribbon I have on a single Oldenburg Cross. After some interenet research and just simple "surfing" I found several other examples of fading that was close to this colour.

Is this a common occurrence with the Oldenburg Cross ribbon?

I have included an examle of a modern replacement ribbon to show the vast difference in colour.

Regards

Brian

This shows the vast difference in the colour between the original and modern replacement ribbon.

For a while it drove me crazy looking for a ribbon of the same colour as the original, thinking that this was the wrong medal and I was in for a search for a replacement. This has happened to me before and I thank the membership for their advice on that matter.

Regards

Brian

Hello Brian,

This looks like a nice example to me. :cheers: The die that was used in that ribbon has just faded I think.

Is the FA Cross an iron example (magnetic)?

Best wishes

Matt

Edited by M Hunter

Hello Brian,

This looks like a nice example to me. :cheers: The die that was used in that ribbon has just faded I think.

Is the FA Cross an iron example (magnetic)?

Best wishes

Matt

Hello Matt,

Yes the FA cross is iron, the one on the newly-made replacement ribbon is not. Would that one be a later made specimen and possibly made of zinc? Or am I looking at a reproduction?

Regards

Brian

Hello Matt,

Yes the FA cross is iron, the one on the newly-made replacement ribbon is not. Would that one be a later made specimen and possibly made of zinc? Or am I looking at a reproduction?

Regards

Brian

Hello Brian,

As far as I am aware there were both magnetic and non-magnetic FA Crosses...maybe a member can confirm.

I cannot tell if your other cross is reproduction or not as I can only see the top cornor of it. :blush:

Best wishes

Matt

Hi Matt,

I never thought about the single Oldenburg Cross as being a reproduction. However, now you mention it there are some differences between the two. Perhaps this is due to a different manufacturer and/or because it is not made of a ferrous metal (iron). I guess that last statement is really a question. :lol:

I am interested in knowing your thoughts on these two crosses.

Regards

Brian

Hi Matt,

I never thought about the single Oldenburg Cross as being a reproduction. However, now you mention it there are some differences between the two. Perhaps this is due to a different manufacturer and/or because it is not made of a ferrous metal (iron). I guess that last statement is really a question. :lol:

I am interested in knowing your thoughts on these two crosses.

Regards

Brian

I prefer the one on the left..... :blush:

I am no expert on these I am afraid Brian....but I do know there are fakes of these out there.

Perhaps another member can assist Brian? I do not want to be telling him the wrong thing. :ninja:

Best regards

Matt

Edited by M Hunter

I agree with you Matt, the one on the left is a lot better. There is more definition and the "feel" is just better.

I do hope the one on the right is the way it is due to a later manufacture but hope won't save it if the consensus of the membership toward it is negitive.

Many thanks for your help Matt.

Regards

Brian