News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

NCO Ribbon Bar

Jim Baker

From what's showing I would guess late Vietnam era. 4 ARCOMS and an Army Achievement Medal to go with his MSM on retirement. Vietnam Service Medal with three campaign stars could equate to one tour of duty possibly two. No Bronze Star or Air Medal or Purple Heart so he was probably a staffer some place. I really haven't kept up with the Army's post-Vietnam atta boy awards. One other thought is the presence of the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal may indicate a tour in Korea.

Army Commendation Medal - 3 clusters

Army Achievement Medal

Army Good Conduct Medal - 1 'knot'

National Defense Service Medal

Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal

Vietnam Service Medal - 3 stars

NCO Professional Development Ribbon - numeral 3

Army Service Ribbon

Army Overseas Service Ribbon - numeral 2

Vietnam Campaign Medal

Question - Is the 'knot' on the Good Conduct bronze or silver? It's hard to tell from the picture. Should be Silver or Gold depending on how many years served.

Conclusions:

Not a combatant. No combat or gallantry awards.

Possibly a Sergeant First Class (E-7) or Master Sergeant (E-8) due to the '3' on the NCO PDR which denotes Advanced NCO education. MSM would be the standard retirement award for someone of that rank.

Whatever the job was, he or she did quality work hence the 4 ARCOMS.

Service from the late 60's to the late 80's.

AFEM could be for Korea (66 to 74), Grenada (83) , or Panama (89). I am thinking the last two.

Did three overseas tours. . . two Germanys and a Korea.

Edited by David S

So he was definately in the infantry in either Viet'nam or in his later deployments.

I would also say that he became an officer with between 8-12 years as an enlisted man(NCO). I state this because of only two awards of the good conduct medal

Was this bar awarded to you, Jim?

Paul

Edited by Paul R

• 3 weeks later...

So he was definately in the infantry in either Viet'nam or in his later deployments.

I would also say that he became an officer with between 8-12 years as an enlisted man(NCO). I state this because of only two awards of the good conduct medal

Was this bar awarded to you, Jim?

Paul

That's a silver knot...... :rolleyes: