News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Scottish Uniforms & Accoutrements.

Hi Benny,

What a superb collection! I particularly like the 1st Lanarkshire material, and all the photos and the accompanying information are great. What are the models/mannequins?

Cheers

Patrick

Hi Patrick, the mannequin is one i made up from a flock head and a half mannequin which had no head. It worked out very well, and displays the uniforms perfectly... i keep meaning to make another, but never find the time.

Edited by jocktamson

Great stuff! Got any Highland (kilted) regiments to show us?

Hugh

Hi Hugh, This will sound stupid coming from a Scottish collector, but i dont have any complete uniforms to the Highland Regiments. I have various bits and pieces like belts, doublets, badges, bonnets, etc.... but no complete uniforms. I mainly collect Scottish Rifles and related regiments/corps.

Benny - you have done full justice to these lovely uniforms. Very complete, nicely displayed and well explained. Are there more to come ?

Ive got a couple more Mervyn, I'll post when i find them, I took the photos last year for Insurance purposes

Some rare pieces - you certainly have a very fine collection. I was interested in the 90th - The Perthshire Light Infantry. I don't recall seeing the Fasces shown at the bottom. This of course, was the symbol of authority in ancient Rome and was carried by Lictors in the front of Magistrates and consuls. With the axe it meant that the magistrate had the right to order execution. I presume it was taken - or, awarded as a Battle Honour - can you tell us where and when ?

Some rare pieces - you certainly have a very fine collection. I was interested in the 90th - The Perthshire Light Infantry. I don't recall seeing the Fasces shown at the bottom. This of course, was the symbol of authority in ancient Rome and was carried by Lictors in the front of Magistrates and consuls. With the axe it meant that the magistrate had the right to order execution. I presume it was taken - or, awarded as a Battle Honour - can you tell us where and when ?

Well you got me there Mervyn!...I have no idea why the Fasces are on the Waistbelt Clasp, its also on the 90th Shoulderbelt Plate.

Took a quick look in Farmer - Regimental Records of the British Army 1660 - 1901. Nothing in there to suggest a "facist" link.

Nothing in Mileham - The Scottish Regiments.

Nothing in Cox - Military Badges, although that is Great War.

Hugh

Benny,

I found the belt badge in Parkyn but he did not mention the fasces.

Now Greece was under Roman rule for 400 years and so would have adopted the trappings of that rule. The 90th, 1st battalion, was in Malta and the Ionian Islands 1820 - 1830 so I wonder whether this can be the genesis of the fasces on that badge!

Hugh, since Fascism was "introduced" by Mussolini I don't think we can look there sad.gif

Stuart