News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Named EK I 1914

I believe this cross engraving is 100% percent period and correct. Among the things I like are the layout, spelling and punctuation, correct style of the letters and numbers for the period, method of joining the letters and words and correct tool marks. Also, under the stereoscope at 20 power the wear and wear scratches that transverse the letters at different depths and time periods. I hope I can post a pic large enough for you to see the detail.

Edited by Vic Diehl

• Replies 53
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gentlemen,

unfortunately Vic missed a few things to explain here.

Beside the fact that this engraving has a few points and markings here and there it is important to understand that the term 'Kampfwagenabteilung' means nothing less than tank or as Germans would say from the 30's on, Panzer.

So we are looking here at an Iron Cross 1st class from the very few first tank crew-men from the Great War. The rarity of such a piece is amazing.

Just to add a little bit history to this picture. Of course it would be lovely from Vic to post pics from the front and from the case as well providing us with a few links about the tank attacks during the 2nd battle of the Somme in 1918.

Best;

Flyingdutchman

We are closing in on Fritz. My esteemed colleague in Germany has found a communication NCO:

Fritz Hammer, born Januar, 2nd, 1891 in Reutlingen, Feldwebel Armee Telegraphen Abteilung, AOK.4

We do know that tank troops were pulled from a variety of other units, much like the early Aero units. Tankers came from artillery, motor corps, communication,etc. According to the Landships forum these tanksrs many times retained their old unit's uniforms and insignia. They were all issued the tanker coveralls.

Gentlemen,

I do hate to disagree with the reasonable opinion of a fellow enthusiast, but here I would dare it.

The engraving we are looking at is in my opinion far from being amateurish. It was done imo from a skilled engraver by hand, just using his engraving-head (Stichel).

As a German I have to add that this engraving looks pretty close to what I have seen so many times on bowls, daggers, handguns, sport/hunting trophys from that period. More than this. There is simply no false cut or misproportion as far as I can see. This shows the hand of a skilled craftsman in my humble opinion. Of course, I can be wrong easily, we are just looking at pictures.

But one point causes me thinking. The term 'Feldwebel' usually should be written with a large 'F', even as an abbreviation. Noteworthy the engraver wrote it with a small 'f'. Gramatically this is incorrect in the German language. Maybe this is because he was a Vizefeldwebel or it was just done to fit better to this cross. A faker would have done it correctly imo.

This is where I have to agree with Vtwinvince totally. As soon as you are dealing with ultra rare and famous names and/or units, one should be very cautios. Such an ultra rare unit is suspicious, there is no doubt. So Vic should try hard to find out who the former owner was. We are dealing just with a limited amount of soldiers, especially nco's. So it should be possible, and maybe necessary to track this person down.

There is no know-it-all intention in my post, just another thought, which I hope is ok.

Best;

Flyingdutchman

Edited by Flyingdutchman

First bit of information coming in from the Panzer Museum in Munster. These are the commanders of the ABT. 1. No help with this cross, but perhaps helpful to some of you with another project.

Sehr geehrter Herr Diehl,

bei dem Abzeichen handelt es sich um das Eiserne Kreuz erster Klasse, das für besondere Tapferkeit

verliehen wurde. Die Gravur erfolgte nachträglich, denn das EK I mit einer Gravur zu versehen war

war nicht üblich. Ich selbst habe dieses noch nie gesehen. Somit hat meiner Meinung nach die verleihende Einheit dieses in eigener Regie veranlasst, um den Soldaten besonders zu Ehren.

Leider besitzen wir in unseren Unterlagen nur die Aufteilung der A7V und deren Kommandanten der StPzKrW Abt 1

im April 1918

Sturmpanzer-Kraftwagen-Abteilung 1

A7V Kommandanten

Isolde OLt Skopnik

Lotti Lt Vietze

Alter Fritz Lt Volckenheim

4 Lt Block

5 Lt Bartens / Hptm Greif (Abt Führer) dessen Zuordnung auf den

jeweiligen A7V nicht eindeutig ist.

Mehr konnte ich nicht herausbekommen.

Edited by Vic Diehl

i don't mean to be alarmist or anything, but another aspect of this cross needs to bear scrutiny. one needs to determine whether or not the tarnish is period or chemically induced.

p.s. the weird clean spots on the remaining tarnished areas could have come from a spray, or could have occurred when the cross was repaired. the spots could have been a result from the heating of the frame

Edited by Eric Stahlhut

Eric:

Your point is well understood. The photo on post # 19 and a couple before that were done on a flat scanner at 1200 DPI in an attempt to better show the engraving, I had to photoshop the color to get it back from the brightness of the scanner so the patina in those couple of pics has an unusual tint. If you look at the original early posts you can see the patina is consistant throughout and of the proper color. I have watched guns being aged with chemical patina, it is an interesting process indeed. Vic

I do hope if you are at the MAX show you will stop by Johnson Reference Books and Militaria and check out this cross.

Edited by Vic Diehl