News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Imperial Edged Weapons

I'm curious if there are any other Imperial German sword collectors out there. So, I will post some of my collection in hopes of others posting theirs.

First off is an artillery grosser sized lionhead. This sword is one of the largest I have ever seen. The sword must weigh close to 10 pounds! The blade is engraved and dated to 1893. The langet is also unique in that it has a lions head and paws above the crossed cannons.

[attachmentid=21335]

• Replies 51
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Next up is another artillery lionhead. Pinned to the langet is the regimental emblem of the Ostfriesisches Feldartill. Reg Nr. 62, for either the 2nd or 3rd battalion Oldenburg. These were the only two batatalions of artillery Oldenburg raised.

[attachmentid=21342]

Here is another presentation lionhead. This sword was presented from two Prussian officers to a Saxon officer in memory of their attendence to the war school in Glogau in 1911/1912.

Here is the sword itself,

[attachmentid=21347]

and the officers names.

[attachmentid=21348]

Guest Rick Research

GREAT photography! :cheers: I've tried with my sword collecting friend Ted's things (some down in the edged weapons forum) but have only done good on hilts. The blades are real tough-- you've done a fantastic job with the damascus.

have you researched the names? I love identified names. :rolleyes:

Too many von der Deckens to be sure (without being able to compare Leutnant commissioning dates from a 1900 or 1901 Rank List) which one--non-artillery, gave that :love: to Nieter. Nieter (unique names are such good research fortune!) was ernannt Oberleutnant 22.4.02 with final Patent of 12.9.02 F5f in Field Artillery Regiment 16, was an instructor at the Artillery & Engineer School in 1905, but by 1907 had passed into the Reserves in his regiment, going into WW1 as a Hauptmann dR with the Prussian XX "LD1" (and 1897 Centenary Medal, having been a regular then).

I don't find any regular Leutnants to match up Stoye, Weidling, and Siebers as of 1912-- what have you got on them?

What about the OTHER named blades?

Wups, simultaneous typing/posting:

Von Schleicher & von Krohn:

As Abitur holders, both were vorpatentiert on commissioning in 1912:

Sword presenter von Schleicher in Garde Sch?tzen Bataillon Lt 23.8.10 V (Oberleutnant 27.1.16 N6n, serving in 1st Marine Infantry Regiment, then as Orderly Officer of the 1st Marine Brigade-- receiving SA3bX 23.9.17, and final wartime service as 2nd Adjutant of the 3rd Marine Division before being demobilized between 1920-23 as a char. Rittmeister (!!!) aD in the early Reichsheer)

Sword recipient von Krohn was vorpatentiert Leutnant 23.8.10 C6c in Feldartillerie Regiment 10 (Oberleutnant 27.1.16 F10f, charakterisiert Hauptmann aD 1920, died 8 June 1924)

GREAT photography! :cheers: I've tried with my sword collecting friend Ted's things (some down in the edged weapons forum) but have only done good on hilts. The blades are real tough-- you've done a fantastic job with the damascus.

have you researched the names? I love identified names. :rolleyes:

Too many von der Deckens to be sure (without being able to compare Leutnant commissioning dates from a 1900 or 1901 Rank List) which one--non-artillery, gave that :love: to Nieter. Nieter (unique names are such good research fortune!) was ernannt Oberleutnant 22.4.02 with final Patent of 12.9.02 F5f in Field Artillery Regiment 16, was an instructor at the Artillery & Engineer School in 1905, but by 1907 had passed into the Reserves in his regiment, going into WW1 as a Hauptmann dR with the Prussian XX "LD1" (and 1897 Centenary Medal, having been a regular then).

I don't find any regular Leutnants to match up Stoye, Weidling, and Siebers as of 1912-- what have you got on them?

What about the OTHER named blades?

Wups, simultaneous typing/posting:

Von Schleicher & von Krohn:

As Abitur holders, both were vorpatentiert on commissioning in 1912:

Sword presenter von Schleicher in Garde Sch?tzen Bataillon Lt 23.8.10 V (Oberleutnant 27.1.16 N6n, serving in 1st Marine Infantry Regiment, then as Orderly Officer of the 1st Marine Brigade-- receiving SA3bX 23.9.17, and final wartime service as 2nd Adjutant of the 3rd Marine Division before being demobilized between 1920-23 as a char. Rittmeister (!!!) aD in the early Reichsheer)

Sword recipient von Krohn was vorpatentiert Leutnant 23.8.10 C6c in Feldartillerie Regiment 10 (Oberleutnant 27.1.16 F10f, charakterisiert Huptmann aD 1920, died 8 June 1924)

Rick

Thank you. On the Glogau sword - Stone was a Lt assigned to grenadier Regiment Nr. 6 with an appointment date of 18.8.12, Weidling was a Lt with the Luft Batallion 1 with an appointment date of 23.8.10, and the Sieber was the Saxon receipent. He was assigned to the Saxon 11th Infantry Regiment Nr. 139. I am not quite sure why his name has the "s" on the presentation but not in the rank lists.

Mark

Rick

If you like named swords you might get a kick out of this one. This is a Bavarian lionhead for a young Lt. dated 1891. His regiment is not named but his rank, date and name is engraved, as well as his monogram. I don't have all of his bio in front of me so I will let you fill in the details.

[attachmentid=21381]

[attachmentid=21382]

Edited by Mark M

Here is another of my favorites. This is a lionhead for an officer from Wurttemberg. The nice thing about this sword is that it has an enameled badge pinned to the obverse langet. The only Regiments permitted to wear this badge were Dragoon Regiment 26, the 4th company of Eisenbahn Regiment Nr. 4 (the other regiments were Prussian), and of course Wurttemberg generals.

[attachmentid=21384]

Guest Rick Research

Franz Ritter und Edler von Schultes, born 1866, alive 1926

SekLt 7.3.87

PremLt 11.6.95

Rittmeister 28.10.01

Major 28.10.08

Oberstleutnant 22.2.13

Oberst 11.10.14

Generalmajor 1918 after April 15

charakterisiert Generalleutnant aD

(oh yeah, THAT's the kind of sword we like :jumping::cheeky::cheers: )

Served in the usual cycle through all types of cavalry, most often in staff positions as higher level Adjutant before the war. When the war started he was commanding Chevauleger Regiment 5. He then held a Bavarian MVO4, 1905 Jubilee, XXIV, PrRAO4mKr and WK3. He ended the war commanding the 1st Bavarian Cavalry Brigade 6 July 1918 "to end."

For the war he racked up

BMV2X 3.7.19 as Generalmajor

BMV-OX 9.10.16

BMV3aX 5.6.16

and

BMV3X 11.9.14

which is FOUR Bavarian Military Merit Order grades, which were worn as three.

Prussian Crown Order 2X gazetted by Prussia 2.12.16 and by Bavaria 13.12.16

both Iron Crosses (of course)

Hessian Bravery Medal gazetted 7.2.16

Brunswick Ernest August Cross gazetted 13.5.16

?M3K gazetted 9.8.15

?M2K gazetted 24.8.17

for three neck Orders.

Rick

I thought you might like that one. He also wrote the official regimental history for the Bavarian Chevauleger 5th Regiment sometime after the war. Any chance anyone might have a copy that would have his photo in? I would like to match up a face with this information.