Gentleman's Military Interest Club
Tim B

Austrian Bravery Medals - Tapferkeitmedaille

Hello,

your contribution is an interesting addition to this discussion.

In this case (the medals struck to be mounted on "german-style" Ordensspangen, after the Anschluß), such medals have to be considered among the pieces produced for private purchase, because the original, imperial Austrian medals, were easily mounted on german-style bars.

Best wishes,

E.L.

12 hours ago, Christian1962 said:

and: there were after WW1 produced medals for mounting on german-style bars from 1938 to 1945. They have a different style for attachment and ring.

Regards

Christian

Hi Gents

i have to admit I clipped the mounting ring off a silver FJi with no signature. I don't mind an honest copy but don't like fakes.

A 'friend' who I buy postcards from, regularly has Medal finds too but sells elsewhere. He does however list 'Hindenburgs' and 'tapferkeits' as so common. I bought it cheap described as 2nd class award.

I trust him and believe it was a 'find' but without the signature I didn't trust it. Despite trusting him.

This thread and recent comments are appreciated and I think important to our community to note......

Thanks

tony

12 hours ago, Elmar Lang said:

Hello,

your contribution is an interesting addition to this discussion.

In this case (the medals struck to be mounted on "german-style" Ordensspangen, after the Anschluß), such medals have to be considered among the pieces produced for private purchase, because the original, imperial Austrian medals, were easily mounted on german-style bars.

Best wishes,

E.L.

Gents, here another addition:

starting in the 1920ties owners of the TKM could purchase real gold struck medals from uniform suppliers. Those were produced by the Austrian mint (Hauptmünzamt Wien) until the late 1970ties. I remember that "Uniform Dürbeck" in Wien IX, Berggasse, had a own price list for that.

I can not provide pics of the different styles because I don´t collect medals. Maybe Elmar could?

Regards

Christian

Edited by Christian1962

I have collected four examples of TKM-mounting:

Henkelöse: regular models from 1798 until 1918 (in WW1 esp. for real gold medals) - they were not useful for mounting on a triangular ribbon

TKM-Henkeloese.JPG

Walzenöse: model mostly used before and in WW1

TKM-Walzenoese.JPG

Kugelöse: mainly used in WW1

TKM-Kugeloese.JPG

Ringöse: used from 1938 to 1945

TKM-Ringoese.JPG

Regards

Christian

Edited by Christian1962

I think the second class silver ones without engravers signature are wartime zink versions.

On 14/12/2017 at 09:55, Valgor said:

I think the second class silver ones without engravers signature are wartime zink versions.

Any help with this recent purchase. I reckon war time zinc. No mm. What you guys think? 

151342693470316704304.jpg

1513426971703868728139.jpg

I'm no expert, far from it. 

I think this is a german produced nineteen thirties piece. Quite a few Austrian -Hungarian 1914-1918 medals are in the 1939 St&L catalogue, for example.

Someone more knowledgable then me should comment. But it is awfully quiet in this part of the forum lately.

18 hours ago, Valgor said:

I'm no expert, far from it. 

I think this is a german produced nineteen thirties piece. Quite a few Austrian -Hungarian 1914-1918 medals are in the 1939 St&L catalogue, for example.

Someone more knowledgable then me should comment. But it is awfully quiet in this part of the forum lately.

Yes, it is a pre-WWII production after 1938, look at the "Ringöse"

Christian

I am not collecting TKMs therefore just two contributions:

0078-Goldene Tapferkeitsmedaille FJ avers.jpg

0078-Goldene Tapferkeitsmedaille FJ revers.jpg

0015-Silb. TKM 1. Kl. Offiziere-Karl-avers.jpg

0015-Silb. TKM 1. Kl. Offiziere-Karl-revers.jpg

I can confirm that officially struck pieces made of zinc existed. 

Among my a-h Tapferkeitsmedaillen,  I have a "bronze" one, with signature of Tautenhayn, the rim struck with a "ZINK" mark. 

Hello,

Are there Henkelöse (1798 until 1918) for silver tapferkeitsmedals?

There is a funny looking first class silver one on emedals, marked sold.