News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Austrian Bravery Medals - Tapferkeitmedaille

Tim B

Hello,

your contribution is an interesting addition to this discussion.

In this case (the medals struck to be mounted on "german-style" Ordensspangen, after the Anschluß), such medals have to be considered among the pieces produced for private purchase, because the original, imperial Austrian medals, were easily mounted on german-style bars.

Best wishes,

E.L.

12 hours ago, Christian1962 said:

and: there were after WW1 produced medals for mounting on german-style bars from 1938 to 1945. They have a different style for attachment and ring.

Regards

Christian

Hi Gents

i have to admit I clipped the mounting ring off a silver FJi with no signature. I don't mind an honest copy but don't like fakes.

A 'friend' who I buy postcards from, regularly has Medal finds too but sells elsewhere. He does however list 'Hindenburgs' and 'tapferkeits' as so common. I bought it cheap described as 2nd class award.

I trust him and believe it was a 'find' but without the signature I didn't trust it. Despite trusting him.

This thread and recent comments are appreciated and I think important to our community to note......

Thanks

tony

12 hours ago, Elmar Lang said:

Hello,

your contribution is an interesting addition to this discussion.

In this case (the medals struck to be mounted on "german-style" Ordensspangen, after the Anschluß), such medals have to be considered among the pieces produced for private purchase, because the original, imperial Austrian medals, were easily mounted on german-style bars.

Best wishes,

E.L.

Gents, here another addition:

starting in the 1920ties owners of the TKM could purchase real gold struck medals from uniform suppliers. Those were produced by the Austrian mint (Hauptmünzamt Wien) until the late 1970ties. I remember that "Uniform Dürbeck" in Wien IX, Berggasse, had a own price list for that.

I can not provide pics of the different styles because I don´t collect medals. Maybe Elmar could?

Regards

Christian

Edited by Christian1962

I have collected four examples of TKM-mounting:

Henkelöse: regular models from 1798 until 1918 (in WW1 esp. for real gold medals) - they were not useful for mounting on a triangular ribbon

TKM-Henkeloese.JPG

Walzenöse: model mostly used before and in WW1

TKM-Walzenoese.JPG

Kugelöse: mainly used in WW1

TKM-Kugeloese.JPG

Ringöse: used from 1938 to 1945

TKM-Ringoese.JPG

Regards

Christian

Edited by Christian1962

• 4 weeks later...
    On 14/12/2017 at 09:55, Valgor said:

I think the second class silver ones without engravers signature are wartime zink versions.

Any help with this recent purchase. I reckon war time zinc. No mm. What you guys think? 

151342693470316704304.jpg

1513426971703868728139.jpg

I'm no expert, far from it. 

I think this is a german produced nineteen thirties piece. Quite a few Austrian -Hungarian 1914-1918 medals are in the 1939 St&L catalogue, for example.

Someone more knowledgable then me should comment. But it is awfully quiet in this part of the forum lately.

18 hours ago, Valgor said:

I'm no expert, far from it. 

I think this is a german produced nineteen thirties piece. Quite a few Austrian -Hungarian 1914-1918 medals are in the 1939 St&L catalogue, for example.

Someone more knowledgable then me should comment. But it is awfully quiet in this part of the forum lately.

Yes, it is a pre-WWII production after 1938, look at the "Ringöse"

Christian

I am not collecting TKMs therefore just two contributions:

0078-Goldene Tapferkeitsmedaille FJ avers.jpg

0078-Goldene Tapferkeitsmedaille FJ revers.jpg

0015-Silb. TKM 1. Kl. Offiziere-Karl-avers.jpg

0015-Silb. TKM 1. Kl. Offiziere-Karl-revers.jpg

• 7 months later...

I missed this before.....

good to know thanks

On ‎14‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 09:55, Valgor said:

I think the second class silver ones without engravers signature are wartime zink versions.

-----------------------------

great thread...……….

• 1 month later...
    • 4 years later...

Just reading the tread and I have learned lots from it.

I have the pin back badge or medal which I believe is for a post WW1 association of winner of the Autro-Hungarian bravery medal.  It is a well made item 50mm tall and 20 grammes. Note the centre medallion is a stylised version of the triangular ribbon found on the medal  The pin is not of the quality one would expect of an item to be worn on uniform.

I am correct in my assumption that this is for civilian wear?

Gordon

IMG_2287.jpeg

IMG_2288.jpeg

Yes, you are right. The union was called "Bundesvereinigung der Tapferkeitsmedaillenbesitzer". Mostly the decoration was bestowed to members but sometimes for active soldiers too and could be worn on the uniform. The union was closed in 2010 or so.

https://www.buchfreund.de/de/d/p/76535363/der-held-organ-bundesvereinigung

Regards

Christian

On 04/09/2022 at 16:29, steelbonnet said:

Just reading the tread and I have learned lots from it.

I have the pin back badge or medal which I believe is for a post WW1 association of winner of the Autro-Hungarian bravery medal.  It is a well made item 50mm tall and 20 grammes. Note the centre medallion is a stylised version of the triangular ribbon found on the medal  The pin is not of the quality one would expect of an item to be worn on uniform.

I am correct in my assumption that this is for civilian wear?

Gordon

IMG_2287.jpeg

IMG_2288.jpeg

There were other badges...

post-39807-0-12680600-1630236655_thumb.jpg

post-39807-0-10264100-1610830059_thumb.png

post-39807-0-40854000-1613427349_thumb.jpg

post-39807-0-48789100-1613427358_thumb.jpg

post-39807-0-53304700-1610830068_thumb.png

post-39807-0-19184000-1628535260_thumb.jpg

post-39807-0-36578500-1628535270_thumb.jpg

post-39807-0-60935900-1612176668_thumb.jpg

post-39807-0-80130600-1630236786_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...
    • 2 weeks later...
    On 25/12/2022 at 13:51, 1812 Overture said:

Hi, my friend, Merry Christmas! I would like to ask you if the Carl 1 level bravery medal can be awarded to Germans? I have only seen the example of level 2 or copper in German medals @Christian1962

Happy New Year!

Sorry for my late reply but I had to check my literature first.

I can confirm that the "Silberne Tapferkeitsmedaille 1. Klasse" was available for Germans. This was an equivalent to Iron Cross 1st class. "Silberne Tapferkeitsmedaille 2. Klasse" was equivalent to Iron Cross 2nd class.

Source: Jörg Steiner, Heldenwerk 1914 - 1918, p. 14

Regards

Christian

• 11 months later...
    • 3 weeks later...