News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

AUST. WW1 GERMAN POW CAMPS

I have made a similar post under Brit.& Commonwealth Military, since this seems to be a topic we know very little about. However, with the truncheon and it's association with Police I am making this the main post.

I have recently had some photos sent over of items still in my collection and amongst them was this truncheon. The full description is on the white paper around the grip - this I will have to get written out and sent over. However, the words Concentration can be clearly seen at it's top.

Basically, the Allies captured thousands of prisoners during the early part of World War One and there was an immediate problem on what to do with them. Britain was at War and had limited resources for guarding large numbers and also food was in short supply. We did hold many prisoners in the UK - Douglas, the capital of the Isle of Man was turned into such a camp - however, Australia and Canada, amongst other Commonwealth Countries stepped-in and offered to supply guarded facilities.

The word Concentration Camp has a dreadful connation today , but, 95 years ago it was just a descriptive term. Meaning, as it says, a camp to hold a concentration of prisoners. This truncheon has the Rising Sun of Australia and the word, at the top. The large letters 'GCC' probably stand for 'Government Concentration Camp'. The first set of numbers is prob. for the Camp and the lower numbers, for the Warder or, guard.

There must have been a rush on the part of the Aust. Govt. to have the camps built, recruit suitable staff and guards and to provide uniforms and weaponry. The truncheon is of teak and is of the pattern commonly in use in the 1880'/90's - probably in stock. However, the painting is hand done and was probably contracted out.

Tony has found a google ref. which shows the camps were in all States of Aust. - with four in NSW and two in West Aust. They were called Concentration Camps in the early days but, this was later to become 'Internment Camps'. More politically correct.

There must be other pieces of equipment in Museums - but it seems very little is recorded. Hopefully our members will be able to supply more information - this seem to be to be an important subject and worthy of much deeper research.

Tony's google ref. is : www.naa.gov.a.../ww1/index.aspx (go to Brit. Military and direct link from Tony's ref. heading was Help Required)