News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Masonic Fob id

GeorgeCL

Georgecl,

A nice fob, but I would guess it isn't Masonic in the sense of Free Masons. In the US, the Masonic square and compasses include the letter "G". Other fraternal organizations often hijacked the symbol, substituting their own device in the center. For example, the Order of United American Mechanics (OUAM), and the Junior Order United American Mechanics (JOUAM) used a central device of a raised arm, which to the casual observer looked like a "G". I am not familiar with the trowel design on yours, but it was probably a similar organization.

Perhaps another member has seen it before.

Firemedals

I thought Kgard might be that member. Guess not.

Edited by FireMedals

Hi George

Might be presumptious for me to offer my thoughts as a newbie, but I would guess that it is Masonic and was probably worn on a watch chain. Firemedals is absolutely right when he says about other Orders hijacking (perhaps emulating is kinder?) those emblems found in Freemasonry and the JrOUAM and Royal Black Preceptory of the Orange Order certainly have similar emblems, as did the Ancient Order of Friends, the Order of Good Templars and the Ancient Order of Free Gardeners.

However, the 'G' is found in Craft ('Blue Lodge' in the US) Masonry when associated with the Scottish Constitution, or descended from it, as I believe most Freemasonry to be in the US. The trowel can be found as a casual emblem alluding to the 'operative' origins of the Order - it was at one time one of the traditional Working Tools in the English Constitution - or as a more 'official' emblem, such as in the Royal and Select Masters (Cryptic) degree. I think in this case it is present as a casual emblem, as the 'G' would indicate the piece to be from the Craft degree or Blue Lodge.

I have seen similar pieces, although I don't remember previously seeing the rather magnificent tableau on the reverse, which is of rather more interest to me. Pure speculation, but it does seem to allude to the two pillars (although shown as towers) at the entrance of King Solomon's Temple. Any other thoughts?

WM5806

Georgecl,

The WM is correct (aren't they always??)

In looking back on my post, what I should have said was, I don't think this is made for a U.S. Masonic Lodge (Blue Lodge), for the reasons the WM pointed out. Although, older Masonic jewelry was often made outside the "standard" designs.

I didn't comment on the reverse as I can't get a good feel for it. Might represent the two pillars, but it looks more like Transylvania than Israel. Artistic license ?? This little piece really puts the use of Masonic symbolism to the test!!

Firemedals

The WM is correct (aren't they always??)

In looking back on my post, what I should have said was, I don't think this is made for a U.S. Masonic Lodge (Blue Lodge), for the reasons the WM pointed out. Although, older Masonic jewelry was often made outside the "standard" designs.

Well, not always :rolleyes:

But I fully concur with Firemedals in that I think this is more along the lines of a piece of personal jewellery (jewelry for across the Pond!), rather than any 'official' Masonic jewel.

YS&F

WM5806

Hi

Regret that I know little about the RoS - in order to qualify for an invitation to join in this Province (so it is rumoured), you have to be Asst PGM or equivalent.

The reverse of the fob did put me in mind of the Second Degree tracing board, but only obliquely. As the fob is almost certainly of US origin, do any of our American Brethren have anything to offer?

WM5806