News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Might this m1889 Guard IOD belong to Driessen, Obltn.dR?

I'm attempting to research a m1889 IOD bearing a Guard star (but find it challenging to say the least). The grip is of horn, and there is a crest on the pommel. There are no maker's stamps on the sword and "F. Damaschke" was the retailer from Berlin. The crest has been tentatively identified by a German heraldry enthusiast as being of the Driessen or Driesen family.

Searching this site (http://home.foni.net.../schlacht00.htm), which lists people of noble German families who served during World War 1, I found this entry "Driessen, Obltn.dR" on this page: http://home.foni.net.../schlacht04.htm.

Can anyone tell if this Lieutenant Driessen was in a Guard unit, and or are there any other members of the Driessen (or Driesen) family who served in Guard units?

Happy to answer any questions you may have, and many thanks in advance for any information or guidance.

PD

I'm attempting to research a m1889 IOD bearing a Guard star (but find it challenging to say the least). The grip is of horn, and there is a crest on the pommel. There are no maker's stamps on the sword and "F. Damaschke" was the retailer from Berlin. The crest has been tentatively identified by a German heraldry enthusiast as being of the Driessen or Driesen family.

Searching this site (http://home.foni.net.../schlacht00.htm), which lists people of noble German families who served during World War 1, I found this entry "Driessen, Obltn.dR" on this page: http://home.foni.net.../schlacht04.htm.

Can anyone tell if this Lieutenant Driessen was in a Guard unit, and or are there any other members of the Driessen (or Driesen) family who served in Guard units?

Happy to answer any questions you may have, and many thanks in advance for any information or guidance.

PD

The only Driessen in the 1914 Rangliste is a doctor. The only Driesen listed is a Leutnant d. Reserve in Infanterie-Regiment Vogel von Falkenstein (7. Westfälisches) Nr.56.

The only Driessen in the 1914 Rangliste is a doctor. The only Driesen listed is a Leutnant d. Reserve in Infanterie-Regiment Vogel von Falkenstein (7. Westfälisches) Nr.56.

Thank you, Mike. Was the Rangelist an annual publication? Are they available on the 'net? I'm thinking I may have to move forward in time in the search for Driessen.

Much appreciated.

PD

Thank you, Mike. Was the Rangelist an annual publication? Are they available on the 'net? I'm thinking I may have to move forward in time in the search for Driessen.

Much appreciated.

PD

I may be wrong, but I don't think they're available online. I bought the 1914 Rangliste from Paul Chepurko on a CD. I don't know if he's still selling them or not, but the contact info for him used to be RANGLISTEONCD@OPTONLINE.NET

I may be wrong, but I don't think they're available online. I bought the 1914 Rangliste from Paul Chepurko on a CD. I don't know if he's still selling them or not, but the contact info for him used to be RANGLISTEONCD@OPTONLINE.NET

I'll give it a shot. Thanks, Mike.

PD

• 4 weeks later...

I found an 1883 rangliste on Google books and started going through it, but quickly discovered that old German script doesn't compute in my old brain.

So, does anyone [who can read old German script] have a c1900 list that shows a Driessen (or Driesen) in a Guard infantry unit?

Many thanks in advance,

PD

Hi, here the (Driesen) coat of arms!

Best regards, cheers.gif

Jens

Thank you very much, Jens. I had a description of the arms, but this graphic really helps pull it all together. There are a few minor differences in the section above the crow (I'm obviously no heraldry expert), but I suspect those are minor variations that aren't too critical.

Many thanks again.

PD

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the answer is:

"Im Jahre 1913 stand der - am 4. Aug. 1890 in Berlin geborene - Leutnant Eitel-Leopold Graf v. Schlitz genannt v. Görtz und v. Wrisberg bei dem in Berlin garnisonierten 3. Garde - Regiment zu Fuß. Er schied nach dem Ersten Weltkrieg als Hauptmann a.D. aus dem Regiment aus."

Many thanks to Jens and others for helping to discover the owner.

PD

I am very skeptical about the match.... the only thing in common is the crow.

Best

Chris

Chris, you certainly know more about this are than I (because everyone knows more about this than I do), but in case it helps, have a look at the heraldry discussion here: http://www.heraldik-...p?p=53341#53341

Others think it could also be a younger brother or Lt. Col. Leopold Graf von Schlitz, per the Ehren-Rangliste 1914-1918, p. 716).

Either way, they all seem pretty confident that it's a von Schlitz.

I'm certainly open to other theories.

PD

PS: It's definitely not von Driesen.

Edited by Poison Dwarf