News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Turkish Korean War Veterans

demir

Hello,

While I was visiting the Turkish War veterans association, I was introduced to two Korean War veterans.

Mr. Osman Yasar Eken - Ret. NCO. and Mr. Yusuf Gunaydın - Ret. NCO

Mr. Eken was with the Turkish 3rd Infantry Company of the 5th Turkish Brigade on May 28,1953, at Wegas when the assault started. After 26 hours of fiarce battle Turkish Company lost 147 men. (More info: http://www.korean-war.com/turkey.html ) Now he is incharge of the Social affairs Section at the Assc.

Here are his pictures: When he was in Korea and now.

Edited by demir

And Mr.Osman Yasar Eken's medals in the picture:

You can see left to right: The Korean War Service Medal (Korean Gov.), Medal given by the Turkish War Veterans Assc., USA Silver star, Medal by International Federation of Korean War Veterans Assosiations (IFKWVA)

Edited by demir

And Korean War Veteran Mr. Yusuf Gunaydin - Ret. NCO.

He is the Vice President of the Turkish war veterans Assc.

I would like to thank both of them for suppliying me information and their pictures. Thank you Mr. Eken and thank you Mr. Gunaydin for figthing a war for the freedom of others and for your country.

And Mr.Osman Yasar Eken's medals in the picture:

You can see left to right: The Korean War Service Medal (Korean Gov.), Medal given by the Turkish War Veterans Assc., USA Silver star, Medal by International Federation of Korean War Veterans Assosiations (IFKWVA)

Hi Demir, great stuff on the Turkish Veterans! I think it is great to see them showing pride in their service. The U.S. Medal is the Bronze Star not the Silver Star. Your photo shows a Bronze Star with no device. If this is how it was issued, then it would be for meritorious service. It is also possible to have a "V" device for valor on this medal. Scott.

I think it is a silver star with bronze star ribbon drape.

Cheers

Chris

Yes you are right.

I called him and asked what it is. He says he has silver star but his ribbon was ruined and he asked a new on from the US Embassy and received a bronze medal and ribbon instead. So as you say it is silver star with bronze star ribbon. So I have to find a silver star ribbon for him ! (In my earlier thread I confused the ribbons-sorry)

demir

Edited by demir

• 8 months later...

Hi,

This medal and the miniature were sent to the Korean War veterans last year by the Korean Government and I managed to find one for myself.

This medal have been worn by the Turkish Veterans as seen in the above photos.

demir

Edited by demir

Fantastic.

I read somewhere that the Turkish soldiers in Korea were held in very high esteem.

Hello Chris,

The Turkish brigades, between the dates of November 1950 and July 1953, have fought the following battles:

the Kunuri diversion; the Kumyangjangni-Illi-431-639 -Imjin attacks; 22/23 April 1951; the Chorwon-Seoul diversion; the Taegyewonni defense; the Barhar-Kumhwa-701 attacks; and the Wegas defense battles.

The Turkish brigades have accomplished all their war tasks. The brigades fought four important battles which affected the course of the war and these are the battles of Kunuri, Kumjangjangni, Taegyewonni and Wegas.

After Kunuri these were said:

"The Turks are the hero of heroes. There is no impossibility for the Turkish Brigade." - General Douglas MacArthur - United Nations Forces Commander in Chief

"While the Turks were for a long time fighting against the enemy and dying, the British and Americans were withdrawing. The Turks, who were out of ammunition, affixed their bayonets and attacked the enemy and there ensued a terrible hand to hand combat. The Turks succeeded in withdrawing by continuous combat and by carrying their injured comrades on their backs. They paraded at Pyongyang with their heads held high." - G.G. Martin - British Lieutenant General

"The Turkish forces have shown success above that expected in the battles they gave in Korea." - General Collings - Commander US Army

"The heroic soldiers of a heroic nation, you have saved the Eighth Army and the IX'th Army Crops from encirclement and the 2nd Division from destruction. I came here today to thank you on behalf of the United Nations Army." - General Walton H. Walker, Commander, Eighth Army"4500 soldiers in the middle of the firing line have known how to create miracle. The sacrifices of the Turks will eternally remain in our minds." - Washington Tribune

"The courageous battles of the Turkish Brigade have created a favorable effect on the whole United Nations Forces." - Time

"The surprise of the Korean battles were not the Chinese but the Turks. It is impossible at this moment to find a word to describe the heroism which the Turks have shown in the battles." - Abent Post

"The Turks have shown in Kunuri a heroism worthy of their glorious history. The Turks have gained the admiration of the whole world through their glorious fighting in the battles." - Figaro

"The Turks who have been known throughout history by their courage and decency, have proved that they have kept these characteristics, in the war which the United Nations undertook in Korea." - Burner - U.S. Congressman

"There is no one left who does not know that the Turks, our valuable allies, are hard warriors and that they have accomplished very great feats at the front." - Claude Pepper, U.S. Senator

"I now understand that the vote I gave in favor of assistance to Turkey was the most fitting vote I gave in my life. Courage, bravery and heroism are the greatest virtues which will sooner or later conquer. In this matter, I know no nation superior to the Turks." - Rose - U.S. Senator

"We owe the escape of thousands of United Nations troops out of a certain encirclement to the heroism of the Turkish soldiers. The Turkish soldiers in Korea have added a new and unforgettable page of honor to the customs and legends of heroism of the Turkish nation." - Emanuel Shinwell - U.K. Minister of Defense "The military situation in Korea is being followed with concern by the whole American public. But in these concerned days, the heroism shown by the Turks has given hope to the American nation. It has inculeated them with courage. The American public fully appreciates the value of the services rendered by the Turkish Brigade and knows that because of them the Eighth American Army could withdraw without disarray. The American public understands that the United Nations Forces in Korea were saved from encirclement and from falling in to the hands of the communists by the heroism shown by the Turks." – 2 December 1950, from the commentary of a US radio commentator The Turkish Brigade, as can be understood from the summary of the Kunuri battles and the echoes it produced in the world, had successfully accomplished its mission.

Regards :beer:

Demir

Edited by demir