News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Korean War Turkish Troops outfit and badges

demir

These are the pictures taken at the Turkish War veterans Assc. showing the uniform and patchs on it and in the mean time the plaques given to the Assc. regarding the Korean war. Also some pictures from my collection. Top Northern Star for the Turkish Brigade and Tropic Ligtning for serving under the USA 25th Infantry Division.

The standard of the 5th Brigade in the Military Museum.

Also the soil brought from PUSAN/Korea Turkish Cemetery.

demir

post-4190-128518056622.jpg

post-4190-12851807097.jpg

post-4190-128518071301.jpg

Edited by demir

Apart from the all Korean War Medals (except the Italian and Spanish) I have these patches and badges in my collection:

the blue badge is a 31th Commerative Year of the Republic 5th Brigade badge.

The round metal Turkish Flag Badge and fabric was worn then.

demir

post-2038-029739400 1285879933_thumb.jpgUS General Walker announced that General McArthur gave the title "North Star" to 1st Turkish Brigade. A Turkish soldier designed this symbol which was accepted by General Tahsin Yazici. From that time on all Tukish soldiers carried this badge on their uniforms.

source: The Magazine "Yillarboyu Tarih" (History Along the Years) February 1983 Nr:2 p.6o

Colonel Celal Dora the commander of 241th Turkish Regiment in Korea with Captain Halim Irsoy (his aid) and communication officer 2nd Lt. Seref Unuvar under the banner of the Regiment. Originally the Turkish Brigade in Korea had one standart. It was the standart of 241st Infantry Regiment. Would our friend Demir inform ud why and why the Turkish General Staff changed the name of The Turkish Standart as "Kore T.S.K."

General Van Fleet decorated the standart of the 241st Infantry Regiment with badge of "distinguieshed Unit" in June 21st 1951.

The names of units that were attached to Turkish Brigade:

Turkish Brigade

UN's officers attached to Turkish Brigade

US A Company of 79th Tank Battalion attached to Turkish Brigade

US D Company of 89th Middle Tank battalion attached to Turkish Brigade

US3rd Team of A Battary of 25th Antiaircraft battalion attached to Turkish Brigade.

source: Colonel Celal Dora "Kore savasinda Turkler" (Turks in Korean War) p.395

We are discussing this topic at anothr forum:

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=85501&hilit=Korea&start=45

The model of Turkish soldier who fought at Korea is a fabrication.

1- The North star badge is a fabrication. Manufactured by an un educated and unknowledhed tailor. The original badge you see in my post.

2- Tropical lightning is also falsch. wrong and fabrication. Again we face an unknowledable tailor.

3- The uniform is fabrication. Unfortunately the assaciation find an uniform of the year 1970's.

4- the 1st class soldiers red stripes are wrong. That kind of stripes never used in Korea.

Edited by Tosun Saral

Colonel Celal Dora the commander of 241th Turkish Regiment in Korea with Captain Halim Irsoy (his aid) and communication officer 2nd Lt. Seref Unuvar under the banner of the Regiment. Originally the Turkish Brigade in Korea had one standart. It was the standart of 241st Infantry Regiment. Would our friend Demir inform ud why and why the Turkish General Staff changed the name of The Turkish Standart as "Kore T.S.K."

Hello Mr. Saral,

I know that you have great knowledge about these matters but do not ask me ask direclty to the Turkish General Staff,

I have been reading your threads in Axis History, it is lovely to have your threads in GMIC after all. So we shall benefit from your views about the Turkish military history which you know a lot.

Thanks

Demir

Edited by demir

On 01/10/2010 at 00:21, Tosun Saral said:

The model of Turkish soldier who fought at Korea is a fabrication.

1- The North star badge is a fabrication. Manufactured by an un educated and unknowledhed tailor. The original badge you see in my post.

2- Tropical lightning is also falsch. wrong and fabrication. Again we face an unknowledable tailor.

3- The uniform is fabrication. Unfortunately the assaciation find an uniform of the year 1970's.

4- the 1st class soldiers red stripes are wrong. That kind of stripes never used in Korea.

Thanks again Mr. Saral,

But neither me nor the people in the Turkish War Veterans Assc. claimed that the mannequin wearing the uniform and badges are original and contemporary.

So you got it right they are all imitations. The Veterans Assc. was triying to give an idea about the uniform and badges. This mannequin is located in the corridor of the Veterans building.

If you want to see the real uniform and badges you have to come to Ankara, and I will be glad to take you to Cebeci, to the Turkish War Veterans show room and Anıtkabir Museum.

I respect your knowledge about these matters so it is lovely to see you in this forum. Since I have the opportunity to have you in the forum I would like to receive your views on the Korean War medals and badges;

A. Would you like to comment on the Veterans badges and medals who have the pictures in my thread and my Korean war badge collection, like the metal, round Turkish Flag or the blue commerative badge, we have very little knowledge about these, although some veterans gave me some idea about them.

B. Also In order to check whether I was right or wrong, would you give me your opinion on my threads:

1. How to recognize original UN Korean War Medal

http://gmic.co.uk/in...showtopic=43324

2. LANGUAGE in the UN KOREAN WAR MEDALS

http://gmic.co.uk/in...showtopic=43084

3. 2 Version of the ENGLISH UN KOREA WAR MEDAL

http://gmic.co.uk/in...showtopic=43189

and

4. UN Medals awarded for the KOREAN WAR and my collection

http://gmic.co.uk/in...showtopic=31830

It is really nice to have your knowledge ond opinions in this forum,

Regards

Demir

Edited by demir

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Here are the pictures of the uniforms worn during the Koren War by a Turkish officer and a private.

These pictures are taken today when I visited again the small museum of the Turkish War Veterans Assc.

First the uniform of the then Lieutenant Cengiz Turkogul. I also met him today and he took me to the Museum to show me the uniform he has worn.

He retired as a Captain.

He is in charge of the Parliament Relations of the Assc. :D

post-4190-073915900 1286995029_thumb.jpg

post-4190-087614000 1286995037_thumb.jpg

On the right side of Lt.s uniform lies the uniform donated by the (late) Private Bahri Ozkoc and here are his badges NORTH STAR (Kutup Yildizi or Simal Yildizi in Turkish) of the Turkish Brigade and "Tropic Lightning" badge of the U.S. 25th Infantry Division which the Turkish Brigade was attached.
    (Note : The North Star badge seems to have the stars on the oppoite side, I don't know why and they don't know also!! :banger:)

post-4190-075185000 1286996173_thumb.jpg

post-4190-007465600 1286996854_thumb.jpg

post-4190-079092200 1286996954_thumb.jpg

post-4190-087770500 1286997173_thumb.jpg

Edited by demir

The Korean War Map , places where the Turkish Brigade fought:

According to the Assc. Total Korean War:

KIA: 734

WIA: 2147

MIA: 175

Prisoner of War: 234 (They all been released later)

TOTAL: 3290

:angry:

post-4190-018903000 1286999725_thumb.jpg

Edited by demir

• 1 year later...

Hi,

This is the picture of the Japanese made patch for the Turkish Brigade I bought recently.

The patch measures 7.3 cm (2 7/8") in diameter and was done in gold bullion thread on red wool.

The backing material is a coarse green material.

demir

PS: I have posted another sample in this forum on 22 September 2010

Edited by demir

And here are the pictures of the Turkish Brigade patch on the uniforms of a private and

Colonel Celal Dora (Commander of 241th Turkish Regiment in Korea)

from his memoirs "Kore Savasinda Turkler" (Turks in the Korean War).

demir

Thanks Brett, I do my best to add new things but it is getting very expensive and hard to find.

Hi Peter, I don't have any knowledge about the uniforms that was worn then but after Turkey joined NATO following this war on 18 February 1952,

the NATO or you can say American style was adopted. I am sure that those who have served in Korea had been given the better quality US uniforms. I am sure that Mr.Saral can enlighten us more on this subject.

demir

Hi Peter, and Demir, Demir nice to meet you again virtually although we are living in same city. Yes Peter you are right uniforms are American . this american uniform was not worn by all the trrops in the Turkish Army, just the ones who served in Korea. You may find exambles of real Turlish uniformsin our following page.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150383067292736&set=o.180766336685&type=1#!/groups/koresavasi/

Turkish uniforms were axackly like this when they went to Korea. Please visit my albums at facebook

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150383067292736&set=o.180766336685&type=1#!/photo.php?fbid=163685082735&set=a.163659057735.122010.690342735&type=3&theater

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I am a collector of WWII/KW insignia. I recently discovered this patch. I have seen the Turkish Brigade patches before but not one with the additional four stars. Can someone tell me if this one is Korean War era or a different time period.

All my best,

Chris