News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Defenders of Lucknow, including Havelock's and Outram's Reinforcement

Hi to all

I haven't posted anything for a while, but hopefully can bring some more interesting bits and pieces to the club, starting with this excellent photo. I apologise for the poor quality of my photos, but the picture is too big to scan, and unfortunately I was not able to photograph the 'map' at the top which tells you which person is which, according to their number at the bottom. Basically, No. 1 (Surgeon-Major Greenhow), is the chap standing on the far left, and the numbers run along to the other end of standing men to No.13 (Lieut-Colonel Graeme - my great Grandfather), then No. 14 (Mr Dodd), is the man sitting on the left, and the numbers run along to the other end to No. 20 (Major-General Chamier). I hope that is clear!!

Alex

Alex - how fortunate you are to have inherited such lovely old photographs. I am presuming that this is the original - and not a later copy ? If original then it is worth a great deal of money - perhaps as much as a one thousand pounds, or more, - however, I am only guessing and suggest you take it to Sotheby's or, Christies. Obvious precautions, gentle handling and NO sun ! I counted 6 Generals' dress belts and we are looking at the Mutiny. The old expression applies - Thankyou for sharing - most originals of this period are guarded in museums.

Alex - how fortunate you are to have inherited such lovely old photographs. I am presuming that this is the original - and not a later copy ? If original then it is worth a great deal of money - perhaps as much as a one thousand pounds, or more, - however, I am only guessing and suggest you take it to Sotheby's or, Christies. Obvious precautions, gentle handling and NO sun ! I counted 6 Generals' dress belts and we are looking at the Mutiny. The old expression applies - Thankyou for sharing - most originals of this period are guarded in museums.

Yes Mervyn, it definitely appears to be an original, which I guess is not surprising, since my great grandfather was one of the Defenders. We are very lucky, as you say, to have the photos we have, and it is great to have a place to share them with knowledgeable and interested people.

Edited by rusticalex

In a word-wow-

Is that photo for sale?

Yee gods, think what those men saw.

No Ulsterman, I think it will stay in the family. If we change our mind at any stage I'll gladly let the club know!

Just for anyone's interest, I'll add a couple more photos of my ancestor in uniform...

I think these are all your great-grandfather. The one in the uniform coat and tie must be from post 1900, maybe up to WWI if he was recalled to do some war-related work in England.

Just to be sure, the first big group photo is of surviving Lucknow veterans about 40 years after the events?

Thanks,

MConrad

Maryland

• 2 months later...