News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

RARE BRITISH AIR FORCE CROSS

I have just been able to purchase this rare WW2 group - there are two awards, one the Air Force Cross and the other, the Air Efficiency Award. Both give the right to have the initials follow the name.

I will show separately the qualifications to receive each of these - however, in order of precedence the AFC is number 35. The Defence Medal is number 185, the War Medal number 186 and the Air Efficiency Award, number 220. The AFC was for Gallantry or, Meritorious Service on non-operational missions. It is rare in that only 2600 were awarded during the course of WW2.

These are the numbers for other Gallantry awards during the same period.

VC's - 182 : GC's - 139 : DSO's - 4,880 : MC's - 11,000 + : MM's - excess of 15,000 : DFC's - 20,000 : AFC's - 2600.

I am also showing details of his Record of Service. I am still puzzled how he managed to get to Rhodesia in 1940 to get married. After the War he became a test pilot and was flying an Avro Anson with a test crew when it crashed and all were killed. This would have been about 1950. I am hoping to get some clearer photos of him and also some further details. During the War they would not let him fly operationally - since he was such a good pilot they had him on training - hence only Defence and War Medals.

Edited by Mervyn Mitton

This illustration and details of a DFC is shown for you to be able to compare it with the Air Force Cross - which immediately follows it in order of precedence.

These copied items are from the Medal Yearbook. An annual publication in October - and one which all serious medal collectors should have a copy of reference.

During the War they would not let him fly operationally - since he was such a good pilot they had him on training - hence only Defence and War Medals.

Pure speculation; but had he flown operationally, he would have earned campaign stars, but perhaps nothing as significant as the AFC.

Nice group.