News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1894-95 Sino-Japanese War Medal

Noor

Hi all,

I am planning to obtain 1894-95 Sino-Japanese War Medal but would like to ask few things because I don't have much experience with Japanese ODMs at all.

Unfortunately I don't have a picture of the medal, what I can get but if it's turn out as a fake, I am sure I can return it. My main question is, how commonly this medal is faked and what is the details, what to keep in mind to check out?

What would be the fair price range for this early medal? Like I understand, its not rare but old enough to get harder to find. Medal what I am planning to get is without the box. Online shops price range what I saw looks like is very different and varies a lot.

Any help would be great!

Regards,

Timo aka Noor

That medal has not been faked. IMHO, keep checking ebay for a good example. Prices there are often fairly low, and you should get a case anyway since they are not that much more expensive. A medal without a case? I wouldn't pay more than $30 (USD), and even that seems high...

Edited by RichC

Hi Timo,

It's none of my business but I would suggest you hold off until you find one in a box.

One of the things I have been very poor on has been keeping track of how much I spend on my hobby. I've never cared about the money only the hobby, probably why I will never be rich. :lol: So I can't help you on the amount you should spend.

The one thing I believe I did do correctly, for the most part, was to purchase only boxed Japanese medals.

Just my 2 yens worth.

Regards

Brian

Hi all,

I am planning to obtain 1894-95 Sino-Japanese War Medal but would like to ask few things because I don't have much experience with Japanese ODMs at all.

Unfortunately I don't have a picture of the medal, what I can get but if it's turn out as a fake, I am sure I can return it. My main question is, how commonly this medal is faked and what is the details, what to keep in mind to check out?

What would be the fair price range for this early medal? Like I understand, its not rare but old enough to get harder to find. Medal what I am planning to get is without the box. Online shops price range what I saw looks like is very different and varies a lot.

Any help would be great!

Regards,

Timo aka Noor

I agree with the others - wait for one with a case, stick to eBay. While not a rare, medal - they are hard to find in good condition. The average specimen is stained, possibly abraded, case with interior tearing at the hinge, or fade. Exterior chipping and scuffing of the case is common. The metal parts themselves typically appear pretty good though - these are what I call "FAIR" specimens are really seem to be highly variable in price. Cased awards you might find going from $40.00-$100.00 or more if it is better than fair. The nicest one I've ever seen (in pictures that is) went for nearly $100 U.S., unfortunately not to me. I suspect the best of the best are in keepers' collections, but most likely they are still some nice ones out there. If you only want to collect one - WAIT for one that you are really happy with, and don't hesitate to have the seller send more pics. for you, get a good look at every aspect. Get one with a nice, undamaged, minimally worn or faded interior and unchipped exterior. You can find them, expect scratches though. And wait for a ribbon that is still of goof color, not too faded, and intact. Soiling and light staining seem hard to avoid with these, but relatively undamaged ones are not rare as of yet. These are two that I have, not perfect, but not too bad, you should be able to find them at least like this. Neither of these broke the bank. I've never seen what I would label as Very Good or beyond that, but if there was such a thing, I'd be willing to pay for it....(hint, hint all of you sellers..... :lol: )

post-6375-018193600 1285537062_thumb.jpg post-6375-072765100 1285537072_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

This board is us too quiet! All right, new arrival. I was really pleased when this one arrived. Really nice, vibrant original color, ribbon is excellent for the age, only a minimum of soiling. Medallion with typical patina. Case is really nice, very little wear and very vibrant interior. Would very much like to get another one like this:

Edited by Dieter3