News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

2 More FAKE Medjidie Breast Stars ...

avsaribar

Another issue.

The Dealers are Lebanese functioning in Beirut (mainly) but with lots of contacts in the countries I specified in my earlier post. (They deal with Syrians, Iraqis, Turks, French, Russians, and Germans and possibly more).

• Replies 59
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

Avsar has better knowledge on these Orders then me, I am sure he will reply soon. I just wanted to add:

1. There are fakes also made in Turkey. But mainly are made in Armenia in thesedays.

2. Mecidis have been awarded since the Crimean War until the Republic. Earlier Crimean types has convex reverse instead of concave like the ones shown. Depending on the year and need there has been restrikes. Some had been very nicely made by the French jewellers. They usually have their trade marks on the reverse.

3. So there are fakes and originals.

4. That zic zac sign was made while getting a sample of the silver to check its purity. Then there is the small "shah" sign which shows that the medal is silver. You can see this at 10 o'clock on the real one and at 12 o'clock on the fake. The stamp on the middle is the seal of the Turkish Mint " Darphane-i Amire"

Regards

Demir

first question: as I wrote earlier, there were restrikes of the order. I don't know the periods or years

second question: I do not sell badges and I do not know your name

Regards

Demir

Edited by demir

• 2 weeks later...

Gents, interesting discussion!

One suggestion -instead of posting links to eBay auctions, it would be a lot more helpful if you posted actual photos of the awards in question. Several years passes and we can't see the auctions anymore.

I second that suggestion. I've done so on a couple of other threads today. Once the pics are gone so is much of the educational value, not to mention seeing what specific posts refer to.

Also, I need to say this. I've made a number of purchases from Linas. He has been an absolute pleasure to deal with, the pieces have been totally authentic with no problems and I would not hesitate to recommend him as a seller.

Saying this, as with all things in our hobby and any such hobby in general... a potential buyer/collector MUST learn all he or she can about the items they purchase. Get references and study them. Join and participate in forums such as this. See items in other collections, museums, etc. Drink in all the knowledge you can. Sellers are NOT infallible. They can come into possession of fakes just as we can... especially if they do not have a good knowledge base in that area. If they purchase a large collection or a grouping and there are some items included they have little or no knowledge of and they put them out for resale. It happens. If the potential buyer has good knowledge of what they collect the hope is they can not only pass on said item but can let the seller know what they have. I've done this in the past. Sadly, not all sellers which to hear it... but many do and willingly pull the offending item(s) refusing to sell off fakes. Or they repost them stating that they are copies. Many collectors also refuse to accept a piece they have is fake... it means they've been had, taken... whatever you want to call it. It's embarrassing to many but it shouldn't be. It's all part of the learning curve. We've ALL been taken at one point or another along the way. It happens... lessons learned!

We all know the old line "Let the buyer beware"... and it's true. We must remain ever alert to fakes. I myself have and do buy the occasional replica to use as space fillers... items that are far beyond my budget and always will be, or items I could never obtain... say a Soviet Order of Victory. But I do not in any way condone the sale of such items as originals. A replica or copy quickly becomes a fake when used to defraud. We just have to continue to educate our fellow collectors and yes, sellers/dealers, the best we can and hope it makes a difference. I think it does. :D

Keep up the great work! :beer:

Dan :cheers: