News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Royal Hannoverian 1. (Leib-) Infanterie-Regiment

Hi

As I am picking some things up after feeling a bit drifty for the last couple of weeks, I am back at the transcribing business, which is one of my favourites.

Amongst stuff I received from felow-members in the mean time, I have a little something of my own: the personal account of Carl Louis Theodor Müldner von Mülnheim, Premierlieutenant in the 1st Bataillon of the Royal Hannoverian 1. (Leib-) Infanterie-Regiment of his endeavours durin the final days of the Kingdom and the action he saw at Langensalza. Looking for some pictures to go with the story, I did find some pics on the battle and some other on several charges. What I did not find however, is the picture of a (Premierlieutenants)Uniform of the said Regiment.

Hoping someon with some interest in the hannoverian army or just a book on it with a pic for me...who can help me out

regards

David

just realise this one should move to the uniforms section.....sorry moderators, please move it

Hi

As I am picking some things up after feeling a bit drifty for the last couple of weeks, I am back at the transcribing business, which is one of my favourites.

Amongst stuff I received from felow-members in the mean time, I have a little something of my own: the personal account of Carl Louis Theodor Müldner von Mülnheim, Premierlieutenant in the 1st Bataillon of the Royal Hannoverian 1. (Leib-) Infanterie-Regiment of his endeavours durin the final days of the Kingdom and the action he saw at Langensalza. Looking for some pictures to go with the story, I did find some pics on the battle and some other on several charges. What I did not find however, is the picture of a (Premierlieutenants)Uniform of the said Regiment.

Hoping someon with some interest in the hannoverian army or just a book on it with a pic for me...who can help me out

regards

David

Great! That will illuminate the intro of the transcription. Could you name the source for me? Should some magazine ever be interested in yet another account of the famous battle, I at least have the pictures with source already. If possible, with pagenumber. Thanks again

Well it looks like everyone beat me to it.... on my mothers side my grandfather is the descendant of the Kurhessens and Hanoverians that left the Prussian occupation behind in the 1860's and 1870s. I am waiting to get back over there to find which cousins fought in the great war. Though my interests go back further than that ... just trying to keep it within the forum perimeters here.

I would like to mention there is a PDF online that talks about the history of the 73rd Fusiliers ( les Gibraltars that are descendant of the garde-regiment) it is found in the google library. post-10607-071312000 1286981199_thumb.jppost-10607-010684200 1286981182_thumb.jp

Edited by Doc Wilson

Hi Doc Wilson

Seems like we share some family background! My greatgreatgreatfather fled the german occupation in the late 1870's Although he did not see actuall action, a distant relative did. I found out recently that one time the noble Müldner von Mülnheim and my humble ancestors lived in the same house together! Do you happen to know which prussian regiment the 1. Infanterie-Regiment turned into (would it be as simple as the 1. hannoverian Regiment?)

Well it looks like everyone beat me to it.... on my mothers side my grandfather is the descendant of the Kurhessens and Hanoverians that left the Prussian occupation behind in the 1860's and 1870s. I am waiting to get back over there to find which cousins fought in the great war. Though my interests go back further than that ... just trying to keep it within the forum perimeters here.

I would like to mention there is a PDF online that talks about the history of the 73rd Fusiliers ( les Gibraltars that are descendant of the garde-regiment) it is found in the google library.

Hi Doc Wilson

Seems like we share some family background! My greatgreatgreatfather fled the german occupation in the late 1870's Although he did not see actuall action, a distant relative did. I found out recently that one time the noble Müldner von Mülnheim and my humble ancestors lived in the same house together! Do you happen to know which prussian regiment the 1. Infanterie-Regiment turned into (would it be as simple as the 1. hannoverian Regiment?)

Fusilier Regiment Field Marshal Prince Albert of Prussia (Hanoverian) No.73 (which is known as Les Gibralters and a descendant of the KGL Battalions that fought at Waterloo & Peninsula)

http://www.kaisersbunker.com/gibraltar/ < there is a good online essay and photos... welcome to the admiration club!

Ernst Junger's Regiment in the Great War ("Storm of Steel" is written while he is in the 73rd Fusiliers).

Hi Doc Wilson

Here is a badly spliced unit history diagram for the 73rd Fusiliers

post-10607-064370500 1286981883_thumb.jp

I think i am going to have to correct myself the Lieb Regiment may have gone to the Infantrie Regiment Nr. 74,77 or 79 I am still digging around

another link is http://www.necasperaterrent.de/

Post Script: where I am lost is the 1866-1870 transition of the Hanoverian Army into the Prussian Army .... I made the instant mistake of associating Leib with Garde... not smart on my part .

Edited by Doc Wilson

I think i am going to have to correct myself the Lieb Regiment may have gone to the Infantrie Regiment Nr. 74,77 or 79 I am still digging around

another link is http://www.necasperaterrent.de/

Post Script: where I am lost is the 1866-1870 transition of the Hanoverian Army into the Prussian Army .... I made the instant mistake of associating Leib with Garde... not smart on my part .

made the same mistake at first :) well 1stir is pretty cool to :)

Doc,

Post Script: where I am lost is the 1866-1870 transition of the Hanoverian Army into the Prussian Army .... I made the instant mistake of associating Leib with Garde... not smart on my p

In effect there was no transition of the Hanoverian Army into the Prussian Army in the period immediately following the Austro-Prussian War of 1866. The new raft of regiments numbered 73 to 88 were mainly established from formed companies of existing Prussian Regiments with some men of the former states who were either re-engaged volunteers or had residual service to complete. The amalgamation of the traditions of the new Prussian Regiments, 73, 74, 77 & 79 with those of former Hannoverian Regiments did not occur until the A.K.O. of 24 January 1899: In the case of the former Leib-Regiment, this was henceforth to be considered one and the same with 3. Hannov. Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 79 with a new formation date of 3 January 1838.

Infantry Regiment Number 79 had been originally formed from companies from Infantry Regiments 26, 27, 66 and 67 plus recruits from the former Hannoverian Jäger Battalions 1 to 3.

Regards

Glenn

Doc,

In effect there was no transition of the Hanoverian Army into the Prussian Army in the period immediately following the Austro-Prussian War of 1866. The new raft of regiments numbered 73 to 88 were mainly established from formed companies of existing Prussian Regiments with some men of the former states who were either re-engaged volunteers or had residual service to complete. The amalgamation of the traditions of the new Prussian Regiments, 73, 74, 77 & 79 with those of former Hannoverian Regiments did not occur until the A.K.O. of 24 January 1899: In the case of the former Leib-Regiment, this was henceforth to be considered one and the same with 3. Hannov. Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 79 with a new formation date of 3 January 1838.

Infantry Regiment Number 79 had been originally formed from companies from Infantry Regiments 26, 27, 66 and 67 plus recruits from the former Hannoverian Jäger Battalions 1 to 3.

Regards

Glenn

Well there you go then LOL

Great! That will illuminate the intro of the transcription. Could you name the source for me? Should some magazine ever be interested in yet another account of the famous battle, I at least have the pictures with source already. If possible, with pagenumber. Thanks again

The above book is the source.

Die Königlich Hannoversche Armee auf ihrem letzten Waffengang by Victor von Diebitsch

Here are some details to the Infantry uniforms

post-1062-077889100 1287247273_thumb.jpg

Edited by Naxos

Carl Louis Theodor Müldner von Mülnheim was promoted to Premier Lieutnant on May 24, 1860.

After the defeat of the Kingdom of Hannover (1867) he served in the Prussian 8th Westphalian Infantry Regiment Nr.57.

Müldner von Mülnheim retired as a Hauptmann from the Prussian Army.

In 1897 he was the Postmaster in the Brandenburg town of Wriezen.

Edited by Naxos