News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Royal Hannoverian 1. (Leib-) Infanterie-Regiment

Carl Louis Theodor Müldner von Mülnheim was promoted to Premier Lieutnant on May 24, 1860.

After the defeat of the Kingdom of Hannover (1867) he served in the Prussian 8th Westphalian Infantry Regiment Nr.57.

Müldner von Mülnheim retired as a Hauptmann from the Prussian Army.

In 1897 he was the Postmaster of the Brandenburg town of Wriezen.

Hi Naxos

Thanks, I had most of his militairy record. Although born in Kurhessen he and his brother Louis and one of their uncles were all unable to acquire a job in the militairy. Their grandfather was to blame, he had been Generaladjutant under Kurfürst Wilhelm II. His successor, Friedrich Wilhelm I. had a bad relationship with his father and with Müldner. I don't know why the specifically chose Hannoverian in stead of prussian service (the grandfather was a supporter of prussian supremacy in a german union), but they did. Louis MvM militairy record reads as follows

XIb Louis II. Ernst Wilhelm Friedrich Müldner von Mülnheim, geboren Nentershausen 06.08.1840, getauft 29.08.1840 (Pate: den Oberschultheißen Ernst Wilhelm Friedrich Frankenberg zu Kassel, Vater der Mutter des Kindes) auf Spangenberg und Elbersdorf, auf Kaltenbach sowie auf der Meierei Eltmannsee; Ritter des Eisernes Kreuzes II. Klasse (Königreich Preussen) (für den Schlacht bei Vionville-Marsch-la-Tour am 16.08.1870) , 14.05.1859 in königlich hannoverschen Diensten als Volontär-Kadett im 5. Infanterie-Regiment, 30.11.1859 als Secondelieutenant zum 7. Infanterie Regiment versetzt (Garnison: Celle), nach den Schlacht bei Langensalza 09.03.1867 in die preußische Armee übergetreten als Secondelieutenant im 2. schlesischen Grenadier-Regiment Nr. 11 (Garnison: Breslau), dann zum 11. Landwehr-Regiment (Garnison: Breslau), 25.07.1870 wiedermal zum 2 schlesischen Grenadier-Regiment Nr. 11 diesmal zum 3. Kompagnie, 1870/71 Feldzug gegen Frankreich, 6.8.1870 Vionville-Mars-la-Tour, 18.8.1870 Gravelotte-St.Privat, 19.8.-27.10.1870 Einschliessung von Metz, 1.9.1870 Noiseville, 6.9.1870 Premierleutnant, 24.11.1870 Artenay, 3./4.12.1870 Orleans, 7.1.1871 Epuisay, 10.-12.1.1871 Le Mans, 1873 ausgeschieden als Hauptmann mit Erlaubnis zum Tragen des Armee-Uniforms des 2. schlesischen Grenadier-Regiment Nr. 11, Fideikomissinhaber in Condominat mit seinem Bruder Carl, verstorben/begr. Hildesheim 25.5.1890/Spangenberg, verheiratet 1871 Justine Louise Emilie Dorn aus Hamburg.

EKII: He took commandant of the 11th Compagnie of the said Regiment as Hauptmann v. Bongé was wounded.

His brother Carl was in the 1st Leib-Regiment:

Carl II. Louis Theodor Müldner von Mülnheim, geboren Nentershausen 29.8.1838, getauft 5.10.1838 (Pate: Generalmajor Georg Karl Wilhelm Müldner von Mülnheim in Marburg, Vater des Kindes Vater) auf Spangenberg und Elbersdorf, 31.10.1871 Kriegsdenkmünze 1870-1871 (Königreich Preussen), Ausbildung: Privatunterricht, progymnasium Rotenburg, Gymnasium Hersfeld, 1.2.1857 in königlich hannoverschen Militärdiensten , Kadet 3. Infanterie-Regiment, 6.4.1858 Leutnant im Leib-Regiment , 24.5.1860 Oberleutnant, nach den Schlacht bei Langensalza übergetreten in die preuß. Armee 1.1.1867 ausser Dienst, 9.3.1867 in preussischen Dienste als Oberleutnant mit Patent von 9.8.1864 N dem Infanterie-Regiment Herzog Ferdinand von Braunschweig (8. westfälisches) Nr. 57 (Garnison: Wesel) aggregirt, 22.3.1868 in das Regiment eingereiht, 4.1870 Füsilier-Regiment General-Feldmarschall Graf Moltke (schlesisches) Nr. 38 (Garnison: Glatz), 1870/71 Feldzug gegen Frankreich, 10.8-13.8.1870 Belagerung von Pfalzburg, 19.8.-25.8.1870 Einschliessung und Beschiessung von Toul, 19.9.-31.10.1870 Einschliessung und Belagerung von Paris, 30.9.1870 Hauptmann und Kompagniechef, 26.1.1871 der Abschied bewilligt, Postdirektor in Neuss a. Rhein, dann 29.1.1874 Postdirektor in Angermünde, 1897 in Wriezen, Fideikomissinhaber , anfänglich in Condominat mit seinem Bruder Louis, später alleiniger Inhaber, verstorben/begr. Hildesheim 23.4.1915/Zentralfriedhof, verheiratet 11.1871 Wilhelmina Mathilda Natalie Wyneken , geboren Syke 8.8.1842, verstorben/begr. Hildesheim/neben ihrer Mann 24.6.1921 T.d. Friedrich W. u.d. Emilia Schmitt

• 4 months later...
    • 1 year later...

Hi

technically he is not my ancestor. We do share a distant common ancestor (likely). I do not know if he got the Medal (is there a list)?? I think he did, as he wrote a detail accound about how he and his brother (in the 7th IR) lived through the battle of L.

• 3 years later...

Hello. I hope this part of the forum is still active. I have an ancestor who has a uniform that looks very similar to that of the Hanoverian Leib-regiment in 1866. I have many questions about this unit, but I'm not able to find much information online and I cannot read German. From what I have seen, this was an elite royal bodyguard unit, and also a cavalry unit. Is this correct? If not, what did they do?

Also, how did a person become part of this unit? Was it by merit? Or did he need some sort of connection to nobility? I ask this from a genealogical perspective, because I'm curious if my ancestor is related somehow to nobility considering the prestige of this position. Thank you. 

• 3 months later...

I found out via the website of the Staatsarchiv in Hannover that there is a whole bunch of photo's of the officers of the 7 RH Infantry-Regiment. Including SecLt Müldner v. Mülnheim. Is there anyway to find out which prussian unit took over the history of the royal hanoverian 7 IR? Maybe the photo's of the hanoverian officers of 1866 were published in the regimental history of that new prussian unit.

• 4 months later...