News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Is this a Lancaster?

Hello,

Can anyone tel me if this aeroplane is a Lancaster or not?

I've always wanted a pic of a Lancaster with its crew only this crew will have to do for the time being.

Tony

Looks like a Lanc'... One thing is for sure....this 'crew' won't be flying this particular aircraft as they are German troops.. Interesting picture, any history on it?

here's a picture of a Lanc with crew..

Edited by J Temple-West

I am not sure if it's a Lanc. I dont think the part that looks like the dorsal turret is part of the plane, as it's odd looking for a turret, and if it is, it's to close to the cockpit, and the front does not seem right as the nose turret is not the right shape for a Lanc, plus the cockpit windshield on a Lanc taper's back for quite a distance, ending with a dome for the navigator which this one does not show. I am thinking more along the lines of the Vickers "Wellington", or the Handley page "Halifax".

Edited by Laurence Strong

Do you have anymore photo's of the one with the German troops? I dont think it's a Halifax after closer inspection because the nose is not sloped between the cockpit and the front turret. I am leanig more towards the "Wimpy"

But that would account for what appears to be the window by the nose, it's hard to tell if the holes we se are windows or removed/damaged panels. Also though I read that models of the Halifax had nose turrets I can't seem to find a decent photo, This one does show what appears to be a nose turret, but the angle of the shot doesn't help any.

If someone here has some front on photo's of a Halifax with turret could you post them please?

• 3 weeks later...

I think we need to research those Germans sitting on it and if any of them are still alive, we'll not only find out what it is but probably also where they are and what happened to the crew.

Any volunteers who want to start researching? wub.gif

Tony

• 4 weeks later...

It just goes to show how important it is to write some details on the back of photos for future generations.

Will I ever know the make of the aeroplane for sure?

Tony

• 1 month later...
    Guest paracollector

Not a chance its a Wellington. The Wellington had a very distictive geodesic framework that would be seen through the missing panels. Here's what I'm talking about.

Guest paracollector

If it were a Wellinton, you would be able to see the geodesic pattern framework behind the feet of the guy sitting on top of the aircraft behind the cockpit. Also this aircraft just "looks" to small to be a Wellington, not to mention it does not appear to have ever had a rear turret (tail section looks way to small). Of course it all could be a trick of angle and lighting.

John

Yes you are right its not a wellington possibly a Bloch 200 MB? I asked a member of my forum last night he confirms what you say about a turret and suggested the Bloch.Is that a top turret on it or something behind the fuselage?

Regards Robert

Edited by wright61