News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of the Red Cross - Box for Verdiensstern?

bovec1313

I got a box for the Order of the Red Cross; it's bigger that my old box for the Offiziersehrenzeichen and quite different.

Is it maybe fo the Verdienststern? Producer is Rothe & Neffe.

On picture it's shown with my old one. And if someboby is interested, I'm willing to trade....

thanks for the help,

post-8720-006601900 1288296202_thumb.jpg

• 10 months later...

Dear Bovec1313

I am quite sure that your big box fits the Verdiensstern.

The decoration here is unmarked but I think it is produced by Rothe and not G. A. Sheid which also manufactured them. Unfortunately, the rear center is gone.

The Verdiensstern vary slightly and do not always follow the statutes entirely by their size. They are also made ​​with a thin needle specifically for femalerecipients.

Although I gather Austrian Red Cross decorations I do not know much more aboutthis beautiful piece. I hope you will see whether it can be squeezed into your box.

Regards

North Denmark

Hello,

it's a very fine case, but comparing the two fitted compartments and signs left from the decorations, I could suggest that both are for the Offizierskreuz.

The differences are just because of the two different manufacturers.

The bigger one, not showing the "K.D." inscripion embossed on the lid, was for a non-War Decoration award.

I will take my Verdienststern (cased) and check the dimensions and other detail.

Best wishes,

Elmar Lang

Hello again

I was a little too quick. Elmar is right, the hole for the needle is too small to fit the Verdienststern. But the box can not belong to the officer cross 1914-1918 when it was only awarded with war decoration, according to the Statute.

The box can therefore only belong to the officers' cross 1923 (first Austrian republic). I also believe that it is made of Rote & Neffe, but maybe bovec1313 can see it from the makers mark. I am not an expertin that field. Hallmarks on needle and hinge show: 935 <FR> and funny bird's head with long beak. I actually think the big box belong to this 1923 cross :) but I would like to hear your opinion.

I am very interested in all Austrian Red Cross, so if anyone would share information with me I would be very grateful. I would also like to see a picture of the verdienststernin in box.

Regards

North Denmark

Edited by North Denmark

Dear collectors!

I dare to give you my opinion, despite that I am a young collector and that I never hold in my hands Verdiensstern or its Case/etui... :blush:

I made this photo in Vienna museum some time ago:

dsc0087.jpg

If you compare the difference in size in both photos you can see that there is no difference in size between etui from bovec1313 and those from Verdiensstern in the museum.

I also believe that it is difficult to identify by needle size, because it was a lot of manufacturers and different sizes…

I have in my collection Offizierskreuz which has only 5mm smaller needle than those on North Denmark Verdiensstern

dsc0035.jpg

kopija-od-dsc0030.jpg

kopija-od-dsc0031.jpg

With kind regards

Edited by djn

The box definitely belongs to the officers cross 1923 (Offiziers-Ehrenzeichen vom Roten Kreuz) and is dated in the first Austrian republic, as North Denmark already mentioned. The difference is not only its size but also its inscription. Note that 1864-1914 and of course K.D. (stands for Kriegsdekoration) is missing.

The attached picture shows some other Red Cross boxes of the first Austrian republic. The boxes in the upper row belong to bronze and silver medals, the boxes in the bottom row belong to the Ehrenzeichen 2.Klasse. The left is for male and the right is for female recipients.

Best regards!

This thread is just getting better and better.

Djn. You have a point about the size of the box. But if you take a good look at bovec1313´s photo, you can see the imprint from the angular arms from the 1923 officers' cross (left side and bottom). Also thanks for the photo from Vienna and of your Officer's Cross. I have a similar, but without the “bronze star” on the needle. Hope you can tell something about the maker. I think this type is among the last produced, due to the cheaper metal.

Bandwurm. Thanks for posting pictures of these beautiful 1923 decorations. If you also can post a picture of the 1923 Verdienststern, I will buy you beer in Denmark :)

Regards

North Denmark

Great pictures. Very nice Verdienststern in solid 935 Austrian silver! If you also have pictures of the medals in your book, please post them. How many have been awarded with the RK 1923 dekorations? Have you ever seen this Verdienststern for sale? :beer:

Regards

North Denmark

The Verdienststern, as I understand, was reserved for Heads of States, and actually never awarded.

Awards between 1934 and 1938 (information for the years before is unfortunately not detectable):

19 Ehrenzeichen 1.Klasse

74 Offiziers-Ehrenzeichen

89 Ehrenzeichen 2.Klasse

80 Silberne Ehrenmedaillen

108 Bronzene Ehrenmedaillen

bandwurm you are right!

I was concentrated just on size, I did not give attention to the inscription on the box… Thanks for the pictures!

North Denmark sorry I do not know the manufacturer of my Officer's Cross.

Regards

djn

• 1 month later...

Hi

Here an example of two different manufacturers. Left: G. A. Sheid. Right: V. Mayer's Söhne.

If anyone has examples of other manufacturers of these beautiful decorations, I would really like to see them. Rothe & Neffe has made ​​the Verdiensstern but have they also made ​​the smaller decorations?

Regards

North Denmark

Edited by North Denmark

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

The pictures shows the Ehrenzeichen II Class 1. republic in silver. I hope someone knows what the label on the bottom of the box means (it's certainly not the price I paid). Was the buttons on the back of the ribbon made ​​from the factory?

Regards

North Denmark

• 3 years later...