News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

British South Africa Company Medal - 1890-97

Guest Darrell

Managed to grab this one a while back. These designs have always intrigued me and I just had to get one. They are not only unique in appearance (the deviation from normal Victorian Suspensions) but the engraving on these British South Africa Police issued medals are rather unusual as well.

A little Background on the man himself.

133 TROOPER William Creatch McVinnie

William Creatch McVinnie, who was born in Glasgow, Scotland, in January 1868, took passage to the Cape in the S.S. Nubian in March 1890, and sometime thereafter enlisted in the British South Africa Police as a Trooper. Subsequently employed in the 1896 and 1897 Rebellions, latterly in the rank of Corporal. He died while in service at Salisbury Hospital in July 1897, having contracted a debilitating dose of apoplexy and fever - his Medal & clasp was subsequently despatched to ‘Mrs. McVinnie of Auchencairn, Castle Douglas, Scotland’

-----------------------------------

Besides the Medal, are attached the various forms of Research that came along with the medal.

Obverse:

post-97-055770900 1288383243_thumb.jpg

Guest Darrell

1881 Census Page showing William staying with a James Affleck. It is later said in the documents that William was his "GSon". Not sure if this is "God Son"? Afleck would only be 10 years older than William's Father to be his Grandfather .... to have GSon mean Grandson. If anyone might be able to shed some light on that it would be appreciated.

post-97-002257300 1288384054_thumb.jpg

Guest Darrell

The Nubian Passenger List showing that William was on board and made the trek to the Cape in March 1890.

Page 1 - Showing Header Information:

post-97-060055000 1288384598_thumb.jpg

Guest Darrell

Darrell, your ability to collate so much information around your medals is truely fantastic. I have been a quiet reader of pretty much all your posts, but now it is time to applaud. Thank you.

regards

Thomas

Thomas I appreciate your praise. I must admit that most times my research skills have been left to others. I tend to steer towards medals that have pre-existing reserach completed or know individuals that can help me with it.

I tend to gravitate towards those medals that offer the best potential for some type of research reward as well.

• 3 weeks later...