News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Egyptian Army Bravery Medal

I think one for Will to find !!!!

As my main interest is in the Anglo-Egyptian Army and Sudan Defence Force, I thought I would post here the information I have on a very hard to find medal, "one of which I do not have".

it is the Egyptian Army Bravery Medal, a good scan of the medal can be seen below. As far as I know it was awarded from 1913 but have no idea when it ceased to be awarded. I have seen one on a dealers list in recent times but it was already gone when I enquired.

A group containing one of these medals was sold by Spink Medal Supplement of 1988, there is a picture of a most unusual medal combination, vide item 375 that includes an Egyptian Bravery Medal in a group comprising;

1. Sudan (sic) Medal for Bravery

2. Khedives Sudan 1910 Bronze un-named

3. AGS 1902 'East Africa 1918' (Nafar Natum, Equatorial Bn. E.A.)

The group had no accompanying research and had evidently been mounted for display by a previous owner, as the Khedives Sudan medal 1910 is mounted with the reverse to the fore, Whether it was a made-up , partial or even full medal enttilement to the recipient I do not know.

Any further information on this award would be most welcome !!!!

ATB, Brian.

post-9315-057223700 1288864338_thumb.jpg

Edited by Vanuatu Blue

Dear Brian,

For many years I only had the miniature of this obscure / scarce award and never expected to see let alone acquire a full size one - however I was fortunate and now have one. To my mind this award dates from the commencement of the second series of the Khedive's Sudan Medal (1910?) and only appears to have the Abbas Hilmi obverse. The scroll suspension would echo the British DCM medal. I attach images of the one in my collection - no naming though and the ribbon is modern. Sultan Hussain Kamel instituted the Orders of Mohammed Ali, Ismail and Nile in 1915 and the Order of Mohammed Ali also included two bravery medals in gold and silver which I would suggest replaced the Abbas Hilmi bravery medal - Khedive Abbas Hilmi being ousted by the British in December 1914 and replaced by Hussain Kamel who was given/took the title Sultan. On this basis the award was very short lived (1910-14 or 15?) and to date I have found no evidence of its award to British personnel. The Mohammed Ali Bravery Medals in turn became obsolete (possibly?) with the institution of Military Star of King Fuad. Fuad became Sultan in 1917 and his monogram replaced that of Abbas Hilmi on the 2nd Series Khedive's Sudan Medal. Fuad became King in 1922.

Effectively next to no documentary history for this award - unless of course someone knows otherwise........

KInd regards from Riyadh,

Owain.

P.S. From comparing the images yours are of the medal I have - small world!

post-2755-091383500 1289318273_thumb.jpg

post-2755-064659800 1289318290_thumb.jpg

Edited by oamotme

Hi Owain,

Thanks for your very comprehensive reply to this thread. Most interesting, and I think you are right on the money with your observations on the award of the medal.

The scan I have of this medal came from a dealer in the far north of the UK and when I inquired about the medal it had already gone. As the two scans we have put up of this medal look identical I would say you beat me to the post on this one. Well Done. I wonder where that trio is now !!!!!

All the Best, Brian.

PS. Very nice miniature.

Edited by Vanuatu Blue

• 1 month later...

The scan I have of this medal came from a dealer in the far north of the UK and when I inquired about the medal it had already gone.

Hi Brian,

I'm sorry but I'm afraid that It was me that bought the medal from the scottish dealer, beating you on time.

I don't know how much could it be important for you but below is the medal in question that now reside in my collection (I too have searched it for many years).

Best Regards

Lilo

post-3017-026998500 1292140322_thumb.jpg

post-3017-099122900 1292140341_thumb.jpg

Edited by lilo

Ah ha! It appears that we both have examples sourced from Aberdeen Medals! Congratulations!

Well we now know that at least three of these medal exist - the aforementioned group - location unknown, and the two residing in our respective collections.

All we need now is to obtain a copy of the decree instituting the award.....

Kind regards,

Owain

• 4 years later...

Dear Brian,

Congratulations on you success - patience is a virtue!

Next on our respective lists of wants will be the Military Star of Sultan Fouad - see details below from the e-medals website. I have known of two for sale in 25 years + , - one in Canada (e-medals) a few years ago - no idea of the price, and once in the mid-90's in the Khan Al Khalili in Cairo as part of a group at $2,000 - sadly at the time I could not afford it.

Regards,

Owain

"Order of the Military Star of King Fouad I - Multi-piece construction, silver gilt and enamels, 43.2 mm x 46.8 mm, bar suspension with original ribbon, light contact, near extremely fine. Footnote: The Order of the Military Star of Fouad I (Fu'ad I) (Nigam al-Askariyal al-Kawkab al-Fu'ad al-Awwal ) was founded December 6, 1919 by King Fouad I. A military decoration awarded in one class only, to officers of the military forces for services in the face of the enemy, for merit or for distinguished services in the field, and who were mentioned in dispatches. Further services were recognized by the award of a bar. Modified and retained by the republic in late 1953."

http://www.emedals.com/highlighted-offerings/world-nations/africa/egypt/order-of-the-military-star-of-king-fouad-i-w1760

• 1 year later...

Ahmed, welcome to GMIC

It is the Hussein al Kamil issue 1917-22, no clasp, which means that he did not participate in any of the campaigns in as a combatant. Is the piece unnamed or does it have Arabic numerals on the edge?

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
    On 3/2/2017 at 12:28, paul wood said:

Ahmed, welcome to GMIC

It is the Hussein al Kamil issue 1917-22, no clasp, which means that he did not participate in any of the campaigns in as a combatant. Is the piece unnamed or does it have Arabic numerals on the edge?

Paul

The cypher on that medal is actually Fouad I (فؤاد الأول) who succeeded his brother Hussein Kamil as sultan in 1917, later becoming King after the end of the British protectorate over Egypt in 1922.

• 4 weeks later...