News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Identifying Baden Leibgrenadier Leutnant of 1917

Hardy,

I don't know if it's the same fellow or not, but in the 1914 Rangliste there's a Leutnant von Unruh listed with this regiment. No awards listed. Rank date 1.6.10 D5.

Thank you Mike!

No, not the same person nor the are they related but they served in the same Regiment. Friedrich Franz von Unruh listed in the 1914 Rangliste was a Hauptmann in 1917.

Interestingly, both Friedrich Franz von Unruh and the above Johannes (Hans) Unruh (no nobility) became writers after the war.

Here is a link to von Unruh: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedrich_Franz_von_Unruh

Thank you Mike!

No, not the same person nor the are they related but they served in the same Regiment. Friedrich Franz von Unruh listed in the 1914 Rangliste was a Hauptmann in 1917.

Interestingly, both Friedrich Franz von Unruh and the above Johannes (Hans) Unruh (no nobility) became writers after the war.

Here is a link to von Unruh: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedrich_Franz_von_Unruh

Sorry, I just saw the name and thought perhaps he'd left the v. off in his signature on the photo, but I guess back then no German noble would have done that! :speechless:

Just as an interesting aside, I served in the US Army and met an officer named Unruh.....I wonder if there is any family connection.

Edited by Mike Dwyer

I'm looking at the picture again and it appears there is a number rather then the LGR109 crown on the soulder boards. So, perhaps the Lt. Unruh served in 1917 with RIR109.

Could someone look up in the Regimental History of Reserve-Infanterie-Regiment 109 if Lt. Unruh served there?

Edited by Naxos

I'm looking at the picture again and it appears there is a number rather then the LGR109 crown on the soulder boards. So, perhaps the Lt. Unruh served in 1917 with RIR109.

Could someone look up in the Regimental History of Reserve-Infanterie-Regiment 109 if Lt. Unruh served there?

Ok, from a quick look in my regimental history of RIR 109, on pg 204, there is this following statement as a direct quote,"Lt. d. R Unruh murde am 25. Juni zum Adjutanten des II. Batls ernannt, und Lt. d. R Kalper ubernahm die 4. Kompanie." No first initials though.

My best interpretation is "that he was appointed as Adjutant of Second Battalion on 25 June 1917" or he was killed (german word murde) on the same date. In the back of the book shows all Soldiers and Officers killed in the entire regiment and I did not see his name. So honestly I would go with the first choice. Maybe someone can have a better translation than me. My German is very basic.

Most years in the book list all of the officers either at the beginning or end of that particular year and I have not seen him yet, but remeber guys I just did a quick look. I hope this helps.

Ok, from a quick look in my regimental history of RIR 109, on pg 204, there is this following statement as a direct quote,"Lt. d. R Unruh murde am 25. Juni zum Adjutanten des II. Batls ernannt, und Lt. d. R Kalper ubernahm die 4. Kompanie." No first initials though.

My best interpretation is "that he was appointed as Adjutant of Second Battalion on 25 June 1917" or he was killed (german word murde) on the same date. In the back of the book shows all Soldiers and Officers killed in the entire regiment and I did not see his name. So honestly I would go with the first choice. Maybe someone can have a better translation than me. My German is very basic.

Most years in the book list all of the officers either at the beginning or end of that particular year and I have not seen him yet, but remeber guys I just did a quick look. I hope this helps.

So after reading some more of the book, I am going to say that murde means "appointed as". So in my previous post I think that Lt. Unruch was made the Adjutant of Second Battalion on 25 June 1917.

As for a new posting in my book, on pg 130: it talks about 2-9 July 1916 that Lt d. R Unruh was serving as the Company Commander of 4th Company, I. Battalion. on the rEgimental Officer list. At the end, the book also states that "for a while" Lt. d. R Unruh was appointed Fuhrer of both 2 and 4 Companies when the Companies were united because of losses I am assuming.

Thanks for your attention,

Jason

Jason,

So after reading some more of the book, I am going to say that murde means "appointed as". So in my previous post I think that Lt. Unruch was made the Adjutant of Second Battalion on 25 June 1917.

I think you are confusing your "W" with an "M"! wurde = simple past tense of verb to become - became. He became the Adjutant.

Regards

Glenn

Thank you so much Jason!

If you ever need something read or translated - please don't hesitate to contact me.

Thank you so much Jason!

If you ever need something read or translated - please don't hesitate to contact me.

I have some stuff. I don't know if I can post pictures on here, but I have some documents that Karlsruhe sent me on my G. Grandfather. The copies are not that great, but it would be worth a try.

Jason

I have some stuff. I don't know if I can post pictures on here, but I have some documents that Karlsruhe sent me on my G. Grandfather. The copies are not that great, but it would be worth a try.

Jason

I sent you my email address

Hardy