News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Chevron placement on police tunic

Our police service has gone to the large Sgts chevrons on the sleeve of the tunic. The probelm is that we cannot find any data on the placement of the chevrons. How far above the elbow how far below the shoulder flash. Any data welcomed.

Our police service has gone to the large Sgts chevrons on the sleeve of the tunic. The probelm is that we cannot find any data on the placement of the chevrons. How far above the elbow how far below the shoulder flash

Ray

I had the same problem with placement of chevrons on an 1800's era British soldiers tunic. What works, visually, is to center them: take the distance from the top of the elbow joint (with arm bent) to the bottom of the flash; subtract the height of the chevrons (tip of point to TOP of open arms) and divide by 2. For e.g. if upper arm is 11" from bottom of flash to elbow and "hooks" are 5" high, you have 6" to work with, so place top of chevrons 3" below the flash.

This means a slightly different height for 1, 2 and 3 hooks but I found it worked even with 4 large chevrons (RSM). It is a little more complicated than simply saying "X inches down from the flash" but looks better, I feel. Or, grab an air or army cadet and look at his/her little book on uniforms, which are a paraphrase of Cdn. Forces dress regs. (I'm serious.)

Hope this is some help

Peter

Our police service has gone to the large Sgts chevrons on the sleeve of the tunic. The probelm is that we cannot find any data on the placement of the chevrons. How far above the elbow how far below the shoulder flash. Any data welcomed.

Hi Ray

We have had chevrons forever (OPP). Let me check when I am back to work on monday and I'll give you the exact measurements.

We have had chevrons forever (OPP).

Ray

Sounds as if danny's your man, but in the meantime I did a quick search for Cdn. dress regs. The Navy says rank badges (incl. chevrons) are worn "midway between the point of the elbow and the shoulder"; the Air Cadets measure it down from the shoulder seam: 14cm (5.5 inches), but they have a mapl elaf badge whose bottom edge is 12cm from the seam. I think that would look very cramped with large chevrons.

My tuppence's worth. :P

Peter

Many Thanks!

Ray

I had the same problem with placement of chevrons on an 1800's era British soldiers tunic. What works, visually, is to center them: take the distance from the top of the elbow joint (with arm bent) to the bottom of the flash; subtract the height of the chevrons (tip of point to TOP of open arms) and divide by 2. For e.g. if upper arm is 11" from bottom of flash to elbow and "hooks" are 5" high, you have 6" to work with, so place top of chevrons 3" below the flash.

This means a slightly different height for 1, 2 and 3 hooks but I found it worked even with 4 large chevrons (RSM). It is a little more complicated than simply saying "X inches down from the flash" but looks better, I feel. Or, grab an air or army cadet and look at his/her little book on uniforms, which are a paraphrase of Cdn. Forces dress regs. (I'm serious.)

Hope this is some help

Peter

Many Thanks!

Hi Ray

We have had chevrons forever (OPP). Let me check when I am back to work on monday and I'll give you the exact measurements.

Many Thanks!

Ray

Sounds as if danny's your man, but in the meantime I did a quick search for Cdn. dress regs. The Navy says rank badges (incl. chevrons) are worn "midway between the point of the elbow and the shoulder"; the Air Cadets measure it down from the shoulder seam: 14cm (5.5 inches), but they have a mapl elaf badge whose bottom edge is 12cm from the seam. I think that would look very cramped with large chevrons.

Peter

Many Thanks!

Ray

Peter

Any Luck Dan?

Ray

Hi Ray

Any Luck Dan?

Ray

Sorry for the delay Ray, been ectic at work. Anyhow, this is what our police orders state as far as the placement of chevrons on the uniform:

The sergeant's three bar chevron with points down shall be centered on the right sleeve of all external wear 20cm from the shoulder seam to the inverted point of the upper bar.

Does this help?

Sorry for the delay Ray, been ectic at work. Anyhow, this is what our police orders state as far as the placement of chevrons on the uniform:

The sergeant's three bar chevron with points down shall be centered on the right sleeve of all external wear 20cm from the shoulder seam to the inverted point of the upper bar.

Does this help?

Thanks! What about the Staff Sergeants crown? What is the placement for a S/Sgt?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks! What about the Staff Sergeants crown? What is the placement for a S/Sgt?

Here is what orders state:

The staff Sergeant chevron shall have the crown positioned 2.5 cm above the inverted point of the upper bar.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is what orders state:

The staff Sergeant chevron shall have the crown positioned 2.5 cm above the inverted point of the upper bar.

Many Thanks!