News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi - Robin. The cap is in very good condition. I would have thought it was around the 1st WW period - perhaps running into the early 1930's. The high crown seems to indicate that period. For 45 pounds I would say you had a bargain - particularly with the condition. The badge on it's own - in silver - could easily fetch more. The word silver does not always mean overseas - although it obviously can indicate this. Small items did not always require to be hallmarked - and as part of a batch it was probably easier to just stamp 'silver'. However, silver was usually for officers' - so this may not be the correct badge ?

Looking at it again - it is probably an officers' pattern. See what others think ?

Edited by Mervyn Mitton

Thanks very much, Mervyn.

I appreciate the answer! :cheers:

Yes.............the cap is pretty well in 'near mint' condition.

As you know, I collect skull-related badges so I just took a 'gamble' on this one. The seller had a few other nice lancer items. They may have come from the same man.

Jennens were in business from 1860-1924. In 1924 they amalgamated with J.R. Gaunt.

They were Jennens & Co London until 1912, and Jennens & Co Ltd London until 1924 so the backmark should give the date range.

Stuart

Thanks a lot, Stuart. :cheers:

I'll have a look at the back of the buttons.........

In 1914, the 17th Lancers were part of the Indian Cavalry Corps (Sialkot Cavalry Brigade)...............I wonder if that could explain the 'Silver'-marked cap badge (rather than standard British hallmarks) ??

I believe British badges were widely produced in India at that time, for garrison troops.

Jennens were in business from 1860-1924. In 1924 they amalgamated with J.R. Gaunt.

They were Jennens & Co London until 1912, and Jennens & Co Ltd London until 1924 so the backmark should give the date range.

Stuart

Both buttons are simply marked 'Jennens & Co.'.

• 6 months later...

The cap is not an OR's issue, but an officers private purchase (as they all were) example. The badge is an officers silver example as well. This means it could also have been worn by the WO or RSM.

The cap without doubt dates at the earliest from the late 20's, but more likely closer to the beginning of ww2. After that point, officer service dress caps began to change to the slack crown style with the underside of the visor covered in cloth. Please note that this is a generalization and stiff crowns with green board visors were made during ww2 as well, and cloth visor undersides were sometimes encountered in earlier period caps.

A very good buy for 45 Pounds indeed!

CB

This is the only cap I had and since I have sold it to a fellow member no other photos, But what date would you put on this one?

Further to my commments on the button backmark Jennens & Co I wonder if J.R. Gaunt kept using that nomenclature for a period after the amalgamation (take over?).

Stuart

Toby,

I tried to identify the cap badge on the Yeomanry RSM's cap and the closest I could get was the 3rd Battalion The Monmouthshire Regiment. There are plenty of regiments/battalions sporting the Welsh Dragon but only the one with it rampant. Do you have the regiment to which he belongs?

BTW: very nice photographs.

Stuart

Hello Stuart!

Wasn't it a Regular serving with the Yeomanry? If that was the case of that particular RSM, then the cap badge of the 7th Dragoon Guards is a good candidate too.

/Jonas